70144-49
70129-49
70331-48 (old number 4733-48)
70146-49
70128-48 (old number 4705-48)
70160-48 (old number 4701-48)
70209-41 (old number 4706-41)
70193-48 (old number 4706-48)
any of these pieces or looms or a complete harness I will pay top dollar,name your price
Thanks much
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: Looking for N.O.S. panhead wiring Top dollar paid

Post by panhead_kicker »

I've not seen a lot of NOS wiring, but what I have seen wasn't something I'd want to put into service. I could feel the insulation underneath the cloth sheathing snap apart each time I pinched the wire between my fingers. Crispy.
For show would be a different story I suppose.
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr »

glad to see a post on wiring, i gotta do some on mine, in the past ( being an electrician, now retired), i used what ever i had around, so what was the original wire size for general wiring, and i always used thhn, but its not very flexabile, what types of insulation seems to work best, currently i'am looking at terminal boards i got on from j&p but sent it back, it was just a flat fiber board with a bunch of screws, i was expecting something different to put behind the coil,also is there or what is a proper size stakon ( terminal ring)---for connection to the ignition switch-----------thanks tony schuko-----1950 fl
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

tschukojr wrote:glad to see a post on wiring, i gotta do some on mine, in the past ( being an electrician, now retired), i used what ever i had around, so what was the original wire size for general wiring, and i always used thhn, but its not very flexabile, what types of insulation seems to work best, currently i'am looking at terminal boards i got on from j&p but sent it back, it was just a flat fiber board with a bunch of screws, i was expecting something different to put behind the coil,also is there or what is a proper size stakon ( terminal ring)---for connection to the ignition switch-----------thanks tony schuko-----1950 fl

I believe the terminal board you got was the one that attached to the triple trees behind the headlight nacelle. They do have the correct one that attaches to the frame behind the coil. Their supplier on that part is Colony so you could always check with them. I use 16 gauge for the bulk of my wiring and the blue Stakon's of course for that gauge. I use the ring Stakon's for the ignition, but I can't recall what the size is. The hole is about a little over 1/8".
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The aftermarket wiring harnesses (for stock applications) are the way to go. The one's made by Bruce Lindsay are totally accurate and made of new materials in proper colors and lengths so no issues like an old original. NOS stuff shows up on eBay all the time for those who are compelled to use questionable old junk.
The stock terminal box behind the coil is metal with insulated terminals and lined with insulating paper. It is available repop.
Robbie
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

repop terminal box behind coil
repop wiring harnass

Hydra74
Attachments
terminal box.jpg
terminal box.jpg (166.23 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr »

hydra---thanks for thoose pics, just what i needed to see, i,ve been reviewing all this stuff, in my palmers, and a friend tells me he has a terminal box he'll give me---again thanks to everyone--------tony schuko
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

49Glide!

I respect your earnest desire for historical replacements only.

For my '49 EL, I can only hope to reconstruct from salvaged harnesses of various years, and Ordinance survivors.

When you get down to where a scrap will help, my shop is within driving distance, and I never sell raw used hardware.

....Cotten
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

There are after market terminal boards, & complete wiring harnesses, or you can also get bulk wire & sheathing all correct colors, sizes etc. available from V-Twin. When I couldn't find a decent terminal board & I needed to replace most of my wiring I got a board & harness from them and it is almost impossible to tell the difference from the original stuff. Unless you're doing an actual restoration that requires only original parts these wiring harnesses and T-boards will work just fine.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Hauula Pan wrote: ...it is almost impossible to tell the difference from the original stuff. Unless you're doing an actual restoration that requires only original parts these wiring harnesses and T-boards will work just fine.
Hauula Pan!

I think when 49Glide said "name your price", it shows that 'just fine' has its limits.

The trained eye can tell the difference.

Some of us enjoy only consuming our machines, and some of us enjoy only saving History. Most of us fall in between, but the whole spectrum is needed to give any of it its full meaning.

...Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

after you decide what to use for wire and terminal boards you will be presented with the seemingly daunting task of assembling everything.

thankfully and with a few exceptions all of the colors match when terminating the wires. (all the blacks go together, then the reds, then the greens.)

get a good print of your harness out of the knowledge base and the proper clips from old dude and you will be good to go!

a roll of real friction tape from ace hardware or others is a must!

good luck and keep us posted.

john
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

"Name your price".
I wish I had the balls and money to say things like this.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I personally would put 60 year old wiring on a new rebuilt bike.Your only asking for problems.There is absolutely no difference between the rebop and original.Wires dont get better with age sitting in a box for 60 years.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Hog54 wrote:I personally would (not) put 60 year old wiring on a new rebuilt bike.Your only asking for problems.There is absolutely no difference between the rebop and original.Wires dont get better with age sitting in a box for 60 years.
Hog54!

Maybe we are not talking about a "new rebuilt bike".
If we were, then who would care?

And "no difference between the rebop and original" means Santa needs to bring you some new glasses. Linen and natural rubber last decades longer than cotton and vinyl, and the differences stand out to the trained eye:

One is real, and the other is an excuse.

Please do not snivel at 49Glide's sincere request; Many of us envy such a worthy mission.

....Cotten
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

1950Panhead wrote:"Name your price".
I wish I had the balls and money to say things like this.
I learned a long time ago that if you have to ask, you can't afford it. So now, unless I REALLY need something, I don't even look at it, or pick it up and approach the seller.

mike

Return to “Electrical”