Difficult to Remove Plug Wire from Coil, Grrr!

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Difficult to Remove Plug Wire from Coil, Grrr!

Post by tcb-1 »

Anyone else run into this issue? I was able to remove one of the plug wires from the coil without a hitch, but the second one isn't budging. FYI, this is an original coil and wires (with the screw on metal grommet retaining the wire in into the coil).

I can remove the metal retaining grommet. but the wire still won't budge.

I'm assuming it's corroded, but any tips to remove it would be greatly appreciate as I really want to keep the original coil setup!

Thanks!!
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Difficult to Remove Plug Wire from Coil, Grrr!

Post by john HD »

you need heat.

the coil is filled with tar and will soften with heat.

so, you can either hook it up to a battery and let it warm up or immerse it in a pan of hot water.

if you have one wire out replace that wire before you warm it up. otherwise, the hole in the tar will close up when you heat it.

read up on the process in your manual or palmer's it can be a bit tricky the first time you try it!

john
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Just put it in a pot of hot water. The moment you pull the wire out slide a large McDonalds straw down the hole to keep the goop from melting into that cavity. When your ready to install the new wires. Repeat. Heat it up, pull the straw and incert your wire. One contact is high and one is low. You have to make sure that the wire goes deep enough to hit the pin. Bob L
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

From an old post of mine. You do know the search function is your friend right!
You can put it in hot water. The tar needs to be soft but not liquid. As soon as the old wires will pull out is soft enough!
Occasionally a coil shows up that someone already removed the wires and let them sit around like that. The tar slumps into the holes over time! I made a tool out of a piece of tubing (an old car antennae) that has saw teeth cut into it and is almost exactly the size of the wire. I can run it in and clean up the holes. Works great! Don't forget to make sure the contact on the bottom is clean and intact. It is a spike sticking up. I always radius the edges of the wire, cut the outer back a little and splay out the wires, apply a little lube and push them in all the way and hold them tight while tightening the nuts to hold them in place.
Robbie
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

robert & robbie,

both good tips!

the last one i did successfully i had my ohmeter connected to the wires when i inserted them. once the meter showed continuity i knew i had it right!

john

ps, i just picked up a nos set from russ at davenport this year, still in original military package for 15 bucks. i was suprized to find them in perfect condition and still very pliable after 70 years!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I use a heatlamp.

....Cotten
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by tcb-1 »

Sorry again for the simple questions. I really should try searching previous topics before I jump to conclusions and post up a thread.

Anyway, I should have read the service manual as it too writes about the fact that you must heat the coil up.

I have probably learned more about the ins and out of early Panheads as I ever have learned about vintage car (my previous hobby).

Thanks for your help, even if it's been covered before. I'm learning, I swear I am! :D

Return to “Electrical”