Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
GJWILEY
Bikes: 1950/59 PANHEAD

6 volt battery success stories

Post by GJWILEY »

Searched a number of threads.

I have been trying the gel and sealed battery route without any luck. They just aint holding up.

My question is now that I am at the point where I am gonna buy a lead acid.

Are the H2 batteries being offered by Harley or Interstate any better than the Tiawan JUNK out there?????

Just want something that will last.

My other option is to go with a small 6 volt flooded battery from batteries plus.

I run minimal electrics head and tail light only( dont run the head light during the day.)

Anybody have any success stories???
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Re: 6 volt battery

Post by beets »

I have had good results with -29F HD batteries. The vent tube fitting points down and I couldn't get the hose down the side of the battery without it kinking.

I tried moving the fitting to horizontal, and it broke. I stuck it back on with JB WELD putty, and the hose goes beside the holddown bolt.
GJWILEY

Post by GJWILEY »

beets wrote:I have had good results with -29F HD batteries. The vent tube fitting points down and I couldn't get the hose down the side of the battery without it kinking.

I tried moving the fitting to horizontal, and it broke. I stuck it back on with JB WELD putty, and the hose goes beside the holddown bolt.

Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I am kinda leaning that way since I can just drop the battery in and go.

I have already built 2 seperate battery boxes and rewired twice to accomodate the othe battery types i tried.

Just wanna ride, getting sick of messing with the same thing.
Billpan58
Inactive member
Bikes: 58FL
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

i run the harley battery,like the vent
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Hate to sound contrary, but I had lousy luck with the Harley -29F batteries, went thru 3 in one summer. Each one was replaced by the dealer when he determined they were faulty; the last one would only put out a full 6 V if you pressed down on the (+) terminal with your finger. He actually refunded my money when he said "they must all be junk". Perhaps, though, it was just a bad run a few years ago.
I had good luck with the smaller AGM batteries, but you need a regulator that won't cook them. The Cycle Electric end-mount reg. works well, I would get into my third year with an AGM battery before needing to replace it. I also never put them on a Battery Tender during winter storage, they held a charge find all winter.They do have a tendency to just go bad one day, though, with less "warning" than the lead batteries.
GJWILEY

Post by GJWILEY »

RussW wrote:Hate to sound contrary, but I had lousy luck with the Harley -29F batteries, went thru 3 in one summer. Each one was replaced by the dealer when he determined they were faulty; the last one would only put out a full 6 V if you pressed down on the (+) terminal with your finger. He actually refunded my money when he said "they must all be junk". Perhaps, though, it was just a bad run a few years ago.
I had good luck with the smaller AGM batteries, but you need a regulator that won't cook them. The Cycle Electric end-mount reg. works well, I would get into my third year with an AGM battery before needing to replace it. I also never put them on a Battery Tender during winter storage, they held a charge find all winter.They do have a tendency to just go bad one day, though, with less "warning" than the lead batteries.

Well i run the Cycle Electric with the end mount regulator(just spent 430 bucks on itthis year)

I ran the great Plains Cycle Gel battery first one crapped out, Randy sent me another one it crapped out 30 miles form home. Still PO about that one because when I emailed him his response was maybe the was too much heat and vibration for the battery. (battery is touted on website as made for Harley application.)

I started running the AGM Rayovac 6 volt 14 ah toy battery. 3 of them later I am back where I started, just 110 bucks lighter in the wallet.

The only reason I went with these other batteries was to try and get away from the problems of a standard lead acid battery. Now 5 batteries later, several rides in the back of my pickup truck alot of time spent beside the road. I am right back where i started.

Dang am I frustrated.

I read about your dual battery setup. I just dont see how you are making em live in the 200 egree oil tank. My batteries failed on cold and hot days when I was out riding. I would be more apt to try it, but am just afraid I will put more time and effort bulding the new hookups and battery box to once again wind up where I am now.
jtraub
Bikes: 1953G,1958 FLH, 1960 FLH, 1964 FL, 1968 FLH, 1989 FLHS, 1997 FLHRI, 2016 FLHTKSE

Post by jtraub »

I use battery tenders on all of my bikes and was able to get 7 years on a Harley wet 6V battery. The main thing to watch on all of the wet batteries is to make sure the water is topped off regularly so the plates don't get exposed. I also am using a small 12V sealed battery on one bike with battery tender and it is still working fine after 5 years.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

I use 2, 6 amp, 6v batteries in my oil tank.
6n6-3b from Napa auto. 3 years + now.
First they were used with my 6v 3 brush genny in paralell.
Then when I went to the 12 v system, I just put them in series.
They have worked great. They were just under 11.00 @ at the time I bought them.
I do run my headlight all of the time. I have blinkers and my rear blinkers also serve as brake lights along with the factory toumbstone.
The blinkers are also running lights when the head light id on.
GJWILEY

Post by GJWILEY »

Thanks to all who responded.

Glen

Return to “Electrical”