FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Rear Directional Signal lamps on 1964

Post by panhead_kicker »

I've just finished adding the rear turn signal harness to my 64, per the 68550-65B "kit" instructions found in the knowledgebase documentation. (very cool to have this doc!) .
What I find is that the signals are not switched through the ignition; they are always hot. Is this how they work for you guys with the original late DuoGlides out there?
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Re: Rear Directional Signal lamps on 1964

Post by socalrider »

thats how mine work. 1965 flh
arnulfo
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

I would suggest moving the flasher feedwire to the ignition terminal (black wire) inside the head lamp circuit terminal board as shown in the instructions. That way, mine only works with ignition on and prevents kids or who ever might get curiouse and bump your switches then walk away leaving the flashers on unoticed or otherwise...Joe
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Seems kind of odd for the factory to wire them hot like that... maybe if you could make both sides flash like hazards it would help at times, but the switch won't let that happen.
I may run mine through the switched lead too, other wise I know I'll be fighting a dead battery way too often.
Thanks for the input guys.
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Panheadkicker:- Did you find the ignition terminal on the front circuit board on your front forks? In the original set up, its terminal 24 on a 64 FLH. This wire originates on terminal 5 of the ignition switch....All black wires....Joe
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

panhead_kicker wrote:Seems kind of odd for the factory to wire them hot like that...
But they did. On the big twins and a lot of other stuff as well. All of the lightweights had the horn and the brakelight wired hot because they used one of the horn terminals as a terminal block post for the positive battery connection. Strange, but true.

mike
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

partshunt wrote:Panheadkicker:- Did you find the ignition terminal on the front circuit board on your front forks? In the original set up, its terminal 24 on a 64 FLH. This wire originates on terminal 5 of the ignition switch....All black wires....Joe
Joe, Mine is wired according to the 61-64 diagram in the service manual. From what I see, the black wire is not the switched hot wire. It goes to the horn. Ignition Terminal 2 is the switched hot for the head light. Green wire to terminal board 9. Do you see differently?
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

PanheadKicker:- Yes, I am looking at the same diagram. The bottom line is, for an accesory terminal that will switch on and off with the ignition would be to go the the ignition circuit for your signals. If you look at the switch terminals, #5 is the switched wire going to junction terminal #6 just above the oil idiot lite. From that terminal switched power goes to the idiot lites and the ignition coil. On earlier panheads, a black wire also went the the headlight terminal board #24. From #24 power for the horn (red) was supplied just like an accesory. Thats where I tapped in my signal lites from. Then by 1961 to 64 they took direct power from terminal 10 in the headlamp board, comtinouse power from switch terminal #1, unswitched. All you need to do is run a wire from the #6 post to the headlight board like an early pan and use it for switched accesories.. Probably an unused terminal if any are left on your head lamp/fork mounted terminal board. Hope this not too confusing...Joe
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

partshunt wrote:Hope this not too confusing...Joe
Not at all Joe. It made me look over my job again, and I found that I had powered the flasher from terminal 10, which is for Pe-59...hot all the time. I was supposed to power from Terminal 25, which was unused switched power from yellow wire to ignition terminal 5. So.. now that i really do have it wired per the factory accessory instruction for the proper years, the signals only work when the ignition is on. Perfect!
Thanks for the help guys!
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Hey Pankicker: Good to hear, now you wont have to look out the hotel window to see if your flashers were left on. Makes for a better sleep, hey? While we are in signal harnesses, did you run your rear harness in the fender or outside of it? Mine is still on the outside as I didnt want to drill holes near the tail lite for exit. Clipped to the Bubble Bag mounts on a 54....Joe
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Joe, my 65'ish fender allready had all the holes in the correct locations, so I installed all the wiring under the fender and through the cable guard spring as the instructions called for. But if you notice, my switch wires are run external on the handlebar.
Here's a little peek at my progress if anyones interested.
DSCN5958.JPG
DSCN5958.JPG (319.76 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Return to “Electrical”