Battery for low output generator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Battery for low output generator

Post by Eric »

Can you run a 12v8.6ah with a low output generator?
Thanks
Eric
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Re: Battery for low output generator

Post by RussW »

I use a 12V 5.5 Ah battery, and it doesn't fry that, so you should be O.K.
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

I guess I should have said also the bike is kick start only. Been running a 5.5 but was just curious about the higher 8.6. I was thinking the the larger battery would give me more spark when starting.
Thanks
Eric
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

I'm currently running a 4 amp battery in my kickstart pan.
I had a starting problem for a while, and wondered if the battery was too small, but it turned out to be a combination of a number of small problems, including shoddy primary wiring, bad (new aftermarket) condenser, incorrect float level, marginal plug wires, and a weak coil.
It's usually a one-kicker now.
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

A larger battery may have the capacity to deliver more power, but I think it is only going to deliver what is required or what the ignition system can deliver. So the larger battery will not gain anything on starting assuming the smaller battery is fully charged. If you have a more powerful ignition system that the small battery cannot support, then maybe a larger battery is needed. For example a solid state system or capacitive discharge system may require more power to operate if it delivers more power to the spark plug. The spark is going to jump and light off the fuel mixture when the mixture and conditions are correct. The actual energy delivered varies with rpm, mixture, temp, pressure etc and if you have a system capable of delivering huge sparks, it may not necessarily use that much energy to initiate the spark.
Doug

Return to “Electrical”