Cheap voltage regulator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
kell

Cheap voltage regulator

Post by kell »

I finally licked the overpriced-aftermarket-voltage regulator blues. I got a rectifier ($4) and a regulator from a Delco alternator ($10). Wired 'em up, and bingo.
The rectifier keeps the battery from discharging through the generator's windings. The regulator works the same way on the generator that it does on an alternator.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Re: Cheap voltage regulator

Post by Sidecar »

Kell
Interesting "homebrew"
I am going to order some solid state bridge rectifiers and 5 volt regulators ( along with some caps ) for another project I'm working on. I think I'm going to take a look at some larger regulators and put together a solid state rectifier/regulator rig for a backup.
kell

Post by kell »

If you're going homebrew you have to regulate it by controlling the field current. Not like a power supply regulator.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

You do have a valid point. I hadn't thought about that.
I have a small supply of n.o.s. 6 & 12 volt generators, buzz coils and relay/regulators for railroad inspection cars that I used to tinker with. I haven't looked at the relays for quite a few years, but they look like the relay on my Pan. I can't say what's under the covers, but they may be mechanically identical.
Now that I think about it, the genny's are probably about the same as the H-D. These are late 40's/early 50's generators. I probably would be in good shape if I was running 6 volt.
Can you control the genny field current with a #47 light bulb like you can with an alternator ??
I'm going to have to start tinkering again !!!!!
kell

Post by kell »

I didn't try the bulb trick. You might still need a rectifier to keep the batt from discharging through the windings. The armature provides a very low impedance path to ground that becomes available at low revs or especially when you first turn the key before starting.
Was reading up on buzz coils, very interesting stuff. The original multiple spark discharge!
Speaking of sparks.
The other day I built a little circuit that uses a rudimentary oscillator (kiloherz range) and an audio transformer to charge a cap to several hundred volts. Puts out quite a little snap when you discharge it.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Kell

I'll bet you'd like to have one of those Jacob's Ladders !!! Those things are great !!!!! I'd like to have one myself.
The first Frankenstein movie has the greatest special effects.
kell

Post by kell »

Or a Tesla coil. You gotta be pretty dedicated to build one of those things though. I think a Jacob's ladder might be easier.
I'll put up a diagram of the cheap regulator eventually, when I learn how to upload diagrams or photos. Right now I'll be happy to send a diagram by mail for anybody interested in making one..

Return to “Electrical”