Generator

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Generator

Post by Eric »

I have install a Cycle Electric generator. Started my bike and the generator whine a little bit, not much. But as I took it on a road test noise in the generator area got louder. When I got home I removed the generator and looked at the gear. It looked like it was hitting too deep on the intermidiate gear. and the intermidiate gear has some side to side movement-didn't measure it but at least .010. I cannot shim the generator out away from the intermidate it is preset. The motor is a 93 C.I. Acurrate Engineering panhead. Could the generator gear be too large? If anyone has had a similar problem could you please help out.
Thanks Gary
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Generator

Post by john HD »

how many teeth on the gear you have now?

john
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

There are 13 teeth
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

does your motor have a strap holding the generator down?

what would prevent you from shimming the generator up?

john
Eric

Post by Eric »

There is no strap. When it comes to shimming, I'm confused. all I can do is shim the generator left or right (while sitting on the bike), but not side to side. This is a new set up so I had no previous shims. hope this helps
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Eric wrote:all I can do is shim the generator left or right (while sitting on the bike), but not side to side.
Eric
By that I guess you mean in or out of the cam chest. You could not use shims to push it further into the cam chest, shims between the face of the generator and the outside of the cam chest would only pull it further out.

The factory shims went UNDER the generator, between the cradle above the motor mount and the underside of the generator body and moved the generator up and down. The trick is to support it evenly from underneath, leveling the generator, so that the tooth alignment is parallel. If the generator is "cocked" all the gear tooth engagement will be at either the inboard or outboard end, that's where the noise comes from.

mike
Eric

Post by Eric »

Good explanation. I finally get the shimming operation. Maybe my cases were machined wrong, it something to look into. Thanks MIke.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

CE gen. I believe use 5/16 bolts ,unless you put helicoils or some thing in the gen. bolt holes to use the 1/4 OEM type bolts , you will be hard pressed to shim it .
If you are not used to a gen. , the noise may need some getting used to . Mine make noise & are you sure its the gen.?
Eric

Post by Eric »

When I first started the bike the generator did have a whine to it, but after riding around the noise started up, more like metal hitting from the generator area I shut it off and pulled the gen. I think Mike hit on something, the generator maybe a little crooked. Can't work on it tonight, cold, rainy and no heat in the shop. When it gets back to around 50 (inside) I'll give it some more attention. I will pull the gen off and start the bike to make sure of the noise. Thanks for all the good info
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If yer still gettin what you consider an abnormally loud whine with the generator removed, yer probably hearing the whine from the pinion to the camshaft. Pinion gears and camshafts have to be a "matched set" to get the proper fitment. This is why when you purchase a cam or pinion gear they have a paint marking on them. They are to be run in sets as they are manufactured to different tolerances. Hence, green on cam goes with a green pinion. Orange on cam is mated to an orange pinion gear. Early cams must be run with early pinions, and late with late. As I remember, the later set-ups were run in the late 70's cone shovels. A properly set-up cam to pinion gear will tend to whine to a certain degree, but as long as you are running the correct cam with the correct pinion gear you should be all right. It may be that yer cam and pinion are not a compatable match-up....bosheff
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

did your motor come strate from accurate engineering new or did you buy it used. if its strate from accurate i'd also give them a call.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

When I worked at Harley the color srtipes were more related to where in the country the final shipping destination was, as emmission standards are different from state to state .
Eric

Post by Eric »

I recieved the motor from Accurate last Feb. I finally got it all together and on the road that following Dec. It sounds great and runs great I'm just having the fitment problem.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I'm thinking about taking the gear chest cover off to see just what the fitment looks like first hand. Question: can i just remove the cover do I have to take the tppet block off?
Thanks
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Eric,
The tappet blocks can stay in the case but the push rods should come out so that there is no tension on the lifters when you pull the cam cover, once the push rods are out you can use one of those magnetic gadgets or some other device to hold the lifters up off of the cam, or just pull them out. Pulling the cam cover is the best way to fit the generator and determine the position for it that will give you the best gear alignment.

mike

Return to “Generator”