Solid state regulator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Mark
Bikes: *

Solid state regulator

Post by Mark »

I am swapping out my mechanical regulator for a CCI solid state regulator.....the problem is I dont have any paperwork with it. I have a RED, GREEN, and BLACK wire......not sure what color goes where..."BAT" "F" and "A". I have a 63 FLH, 6 volt two brush model 61. Any help would be appreciated....thanks. Mark
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Solid state regulator

Post by lockdoc »

Red to 'A' terminal. Green to 'F' terminal. Black to positive battery. Generator light to 'A' terminal.
Mark
Bikes: *

Post by Mark »

lockdoc.....thanks for the info. Im guessing that you dont have to "flash" the generator with a solid state regulator?
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Yes you have to still flash the generator.....But it must be removed and on a Non Conductive surface to allow it to be properly Flashed with No REGULATOR Hooked UP!

You do have to have a good charged battery and you need a plus wire and a negative wire off the battery then you hook a ground wire off the battery to the generators body and very quickly Flash the armature (A) post on the generator...... i have done it But that was years ago....Hope that someone else can help with my answer to be sure Its RIGHT!.........so "wait till you get a answer here".......... Before You create" ANY SMOKE" !

Good Luck and ride safe.
MotorCycleMike
lockdoc
Inactive member

Post by lockdoc »

No one ever told me to flash my generator with the electronic regulator so I didn't. Got lucky I guess as it works.
lockdoc
Inactive member

Post by lockdoc »

Here is some info I found on installing an electronic regulator.

Check if the generator light on the dashboard goes on when turning on the main switch. Start the engine and watch the generator light. It must go off slightly above idle speed of the engine. If not, do not full throttle the engine,
but see the chapter: “what if it is not working”

If the generator light indicator on the dashboard will not go off, there can be several reasons:
1. The electrical wiring is not ok. Check the wiring for faulty connections, and be sure that all wires
are connected to the right terminals.
2. With a new or repaired generator it might be necessary to polarize the poles. The magnetic field
direction of the generator poles can become reversed after a repair. Current will flow in opposite
direction in this case, and the generator and regulator will not work.
To polarize the generator perform next steps:
Engine is not running
1) Disconnect the field terminal wire from the generator and connect field terminal to ground.
2) Disconnect the armature wire from the generator and flash the armature terminal momentarily by touching it to the
positive terminal of the battery. A small spark can occur. You need a long wire to reach the positive
terminal of the battery and the armature terminal of the generator. This action will polarize the
generator.
The positive terminal of the battery must not be connected to the electric wiring of the system. Reinstall
the electrical wiring as described above in the chapter wiring, and reconnect the battery to the electrical
system.
Start the engine and check if the generator light goes off.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

lockdoc wrote:No one ever told me to flash my generator with the electronic regulator so I didn't. Got lucky I guess as it works.
If it's Working Ok means that the current that flows thru that Gererator is flowing the right direction and not backwards and discharging.
Usually that has to be done on a rebuilt generator...or a new mechanical type of a regulator.

Cycle Electric generators are already polorized from the factory.

Return to “Electrical”