Battery Venting

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Battery Venting

Post by beets »

I have a new OEM H-D battery that uses an elbow and a tube to vent the battery. The elbow is positioned so that the tube kinks when you run it to the bottom of the battery.

I tried turning the elbow to a better angle and it broke off in the case.

If I remember right the old H-D batteries had small holes drilled in the caps for venting. Can I plug the hole where the elbow was and drill the caps with good results?
If so, what size holes in cap?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Battery Venting

Post by FlatHeadSix »

beets
I did the same thing on one of my batteries but I broke the elbo off on purpose so the battery would fit in the battery box. If the fluid level in the battery is no higher than the max-fill line you should be OK installing it the way it is, just let it vent out the hole where the elbo used to be. If your charging circuit is behaving and not over-charging the battery it should not "boil" or force liquid out of the hole. If you use the bike for hill climbing or frequently lay it over on the vent hole side then you might want to try something different.

Mine has never caused any problems, I stuffed a little piece of scotch-brite in the hole to act as a demister as a sort of precaution but it probably wasn't neccessary.

mike
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Battery Venting

Post by PanPal »

I stuffed a little piece of scotch-brite in the hole to act as a demister as a sort of precaution but it probably wasn't neccessary

I would do this because I did not and I do not have good paint on this part of my oil tank anymore. May be you could find a smaller hose that fits inside the ID of the hole just to redirect the vapors.

Return to “Electrical”