Installing a CE Generator with built in End Regulator !

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Installing a CE Generator with built in End Regulator !

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I am installing a 12 volt Cycle Electric Generator in a Knuckle head and the built in "low volts" regulator and i finally found the newer style oil deflector today at a local shop and before i installed the oil deflector and 13 tooth gear...i packed the open face ball bearing with some High Temp disc brake grease.....now before i install the unit on the knuckle......is that ok to pack that open face ball bearing with grease ??.....and also i drilled the mounting holes out with a 5/16th drill bit......i could Not Find the numbered "Q" drill bit that i bought years ago for that job..as required in the CE instructions Is that going to work OK ??.......all help is very appreciated Thank You all.
Motor Cycle Mike n KANSAS

And also the battery is the 12N5.5 Type and they are made in "china" now and are $15.00 i got mine thru a battery wholesaler.
I really dont want to pull the open face bearing off....as the lower reply information to my question
Last edited by Motorcyclemike on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Installing a CE Generator with built in End Regulator !

Post by steve_wood »

I replaced the bearing on mine with a modern sealed bearing....
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Mike,
Wouldnt grease keep oil from getting in? Especially synthetic stuff that dont melt. Whats that do to your oil if it does wash out? I used to even wash the prelube outa cam needlebearings and squeeze them full of vaseline before I used them.

Hmmmnnn......why dont Cycle Electric use sealed bearings?

'Spectful,
Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Respectful

Respectful......with that domed oil deflector in place on the generators shaft....i really don't see how any motor oil would ever make it inside that area and if that grease would melt most all of it would stay in the bearing.....and the cavity under that oil deflector is Not Packed with grease.....only the opened side of that ball bearing.....so that should be ok.
Thanks .
Mike n Kansas
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Mike, those chineese batteries will leak acid all over yer bike, the seam around the top leaks. Mike
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Mike n Kansas,

Inside the gearcase its a shower of hot oil.
The deflector just keeps chunks out.

'Spectful,

THE NIGHTSHIFT
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

If you drilled the holes with a 5/16" drill bit, how are you gonna' tap them 5/16-24?

Did you drill the side cover, or the generator holes?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I wouldn't put grease in the ball bearings. They get plenty of oil from the gear case. Those ball bearings seem to work just fine. I installed the same generator on my Panhead in 2004. I've put about 65K miles on it and it's performed flawlessly. I don't see the need for a sealed bearing.

-Craig
Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike »

awander wrote:If you drilled the holes with a 5/16" drill bit, how are you gonna' tap them 5/16-24?

Did you drill the side cover, or the generator holes?
I drilled the side cover only and its all installed now.......i got the proper bolt with the beveled head to fit the cases.
Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Panacea wrote:Mike, those chineese batteries will leak acid all over yer bike, the seam around the top leaks. Mike
Panacrea .....i called my friend that sold me the battery at the chineese battery shop and asked him If they leaked acid ?......and he said Of all that he has sold over the years.......Not a ONE has had a leak of any kind......so you must have tightened the battery hold down too tight and cracked the case or some one dropped it before you got it.
Mike R
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

This was about fifteen years ago, a friend and I both put the cheap batteries in our pans, we got them at the local farm store, half way thru the summer they both developed leaks around the seam, like the glue let go or something. Now days I just use a dry cell, like in an exit lite, I've had the same one for five years with no problems...Mike
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Even if the 12N5.5 doesn't leak, they have a tendency to like to overflow. If you fill them up sitting level and then put them in your battery box leaning back, they like to spill. Makes a heck of a mess of your paint. If you under fill them so that they won't overflow when leaning back, they tend to not last as long. I switched over to a YUASA AGM sealed battery.

-Craig
Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike »

caschnd1 wrote:Even if the 12N5.5 doesn't leak, they have a tendency to like to overflow. If you fill them up sitting level and then put them in your battery box leaning back, they like to spill. Makes a heck of a mess of your paint. If you under fill them so that they won't overflow when leaning back, they tend to not last as long. I switched over to a YUASA AGM sealed battery.

-Craig
Havent you ever attached a plastic bottle to the vent hose when you used to use the lead acid types of batterys?......... by drilling the vent hose hole slightly smaller then the tube so it fits tight thru the lid and its important to drill a 1/8" hole in the top of the plastic bottle lid to allow the gas that builds up during the charging of the battery.......that way If some would slosh out of the battery......the plastic bottle thats attached to the frame would catch any acid that would flow down the vent tube....i have done that for years on My 1963 650 Triumph and the Pan Head also and about 2 years ago i added a Maintance Free battery in the Pan Head.....the 12n5 is going in the Knuckle....its running just a head lite and tail lite !

I have already compensated for the angle so it sets Straight UP......with the shims that that 12n5 battery sets on......its all in the oil bag now and secured with a plate with rubber glued to the bottom side.
Thanks all for the helps and answers too.
Mike Rrrrrrr In Kansas

Return to “Electrical”