Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

1965 starter motor interchangability

Post by wheels »

does a 65 starter motor interchange with any of the other years or is it unique to 65. also will the starter solenoid get in the way of a jockey shift conversion. oh yeah, does a 65 have a starter relay? thanks.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 1965 starter

Post by Cotten »

The starter motor will interchange with any Prestolite vintage, plus a bracket or two.

H-D wasn't hip to newfangled techno stuff like a relay in '65, but its a damn good idea anyway.

Interference with a jockey lever is entirely dependent upon your skill at bending things.
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

Cotton, thank you so much. you have come through for me again. i want to get my parts and wasn't sure what to order. i haven't taken the old starter off but will probobly friday. i can't see a tag on the top but will check it out when i take it off. it looks vintage to me. i'll let you know. thanks again for the info . i'm bound and determined to have that foot clutch-hand shift. i didn't find a relayand wasn't sure, gonna buy a harley manual this weekend. are those starters the sameup to 79 and do you think the hi torque models like a Spyke are worth the money or just buy a prestolite and put in a relay.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

As far as foot-clutch/hand shift...all of my '65s are that way, but none are jockeys. (Factory tank-shifts.)

If you have a ratchet top tranny and a gate-less tank, I strongly suggest using the Police frame-mounted lever instead of a direct hand-grab at the ratchet pawl.

I have no experience with anything newer than a Prestolite starter, (haven't needed any!)
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

Thanks to you again Cotton. you have made several decisions alot easier. i truely respect everything you say because i know you've been there and done that. i think you have saved me a tremendous amount of headaches and cash. happy new year.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Wheels!

My replies are edited heavily to be short; When you find specific questions, please ask before you spend!

Usual Public Disclaimer: I am not a mailorder retailer of parts at large, so I give my opinions without the conflict of pushing a sale.

(But I do lust after Delco starters for my personal needs: I have a pair of '65s for my wife and I, and am just a set of legals cases short of a third.)
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

Cotton, sorry to say i pulled the starter off and there are no markings on it other than a few numbers on the gear end. nothing would of made me happier than to send you a delco. i can't find any indication as to the brand of this unit. i guess i'll just put it on the shelf. thanks for the help and as a return favor i will be on the look-out at a large swap meet in the st. louis area tomorrow for a original delco. it will give me something to hunt for. ya never know.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

wheels
This is right out of a Clymer service manual ;
A four brush Delco - Remy starter motor was used on 1965 EG's and early Shovelheads. Late 1966-1982 Shovelheads used a Prestolite starter motor .The Prestolite starter motor will work on the 1965 EG's .The differances in the two starters a
re:
The Delco - Remy starter has an Aluminum ID tag riveted to the starter housing.
The ID info on a Prestolite is stamped into the starter frame.
A quick way to ID a prestolite starter on an EG is to look at the end of the starter motor. The Prestolite starter has a ribbed end and a chrome cover The Delco - Remy starter does not.
It goes on to note that if you want to get a motor for restoring is to go to a Evinrude/Johnson boat dealer , some of there engines in the 50's & 60's were equipped with the Delco - Remy and Prestolite starters motors.
I know this was long winded but may be it will help you or someone else out . I know Clymer manuals are genaric but they do have some useful info .
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Beware also that black-enameled tagged Delcos were for Servis from '64 'til presumeably mid-66, whereas the Big Twin Delco starter had a red tag.
Perhaps they turned in opposite directions?

Early 65's also had a unique starter housing that bolts it to the inner primary: Initial production lacked a condensate drain hole. And when they did poke one, it must taken a minute to realize they then needed a seal on its splash guard. That's just one of the reasons that Delcos earned an undeserved bad reputation. (Add that to H-D's ignoring relays.)

1965s had uncounted production changes, possibly more than even the fabled '36 OHV model. Since Mr. Palmer drew the line to exclude '65 in his landmark reference "How to Restore.. (Motorbooks International), it is entirely up to us in this brave new cyberworld to collect and pass on the vintage specifics. We thank our Forum Host for this opportunity!
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

Thanks for the info guys. i really appreciate it. i'm gonna get a prestolite and put in a relay and see how it works out. other wise i'm gonna go back to the old style primary and kick only. the bike usuallys starts in 1-3 kicks anyway and it looks so much cooler. thanks. if i ever run across one of those fabled red tag delcos i'll let you know cotton. for the record i struggled back and forth for three days on the jockey shift vs the police shift and decided to try the jockey. the guy i get my parts( i like to support my local independant panhead mechanic for fear of exstinction) from said he would take it back if it didn't work ou for me.

Return to “Electrical”