Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

correct wiring questions

Post by james »

Need a wiring guru circa 1952
Who knows where to use insulation (shrink wrap) at certain wire connector applications?
I know you use them at the instrument panel but where else are they used.
At the brake switch connectors? Oil switch connectors? Cut out relay?
Don't want to use them where they don't belong. Want everything correct.
Was supposed to be in the New Hope Auto Show Sunday, woke up to rain...... :?:

thanks, jim
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: correct wiring questions

Post by Bosheff »

I was not aware that shrink tubing was used on stock wiring harnesses in that era, but I may be mistaken.
james
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Bosheff wrote:I was not aware that shrink tubing was used on stock wiring harnesses in that era, but I may be mistaken.
It may not have been called shrink tubing but they did use a type of plastic covering on some wire end applications.
Look at some pictures from old enthusist magazines and you'll see they used a white plastic wire end wrap at the coil terminals.
There was also some black plastic used at the ignition switch wire connectors under the dash cover. looking for more clues.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

You are correct about the white ends, I have not seen any black though, but complete unmolested wire harnesses are a very rare breed. For 1952 I'm pretty sure that almost all wires had plain 90-degree metal flag terminals, with a few exceptions that were straight also bare eye terminals. The eye terminals went to the generator, and dash lights and switch. The places I have seen the white covering used were on a couple of the eye terminals which I believe were on the wire from the timer to the coil and the oil pressure switch. Not sure about the brake switch. There may have been some black sleeving used but on the harnesses I've seen I haven't seen any black used. There may also have been white used on more wires but again on the harnesses I've encountered I only saw it on the wires mentioned above. That doesn't mean that there couldn't have been more that were just missing from years of use and abuse. I don't know of any books that show a complete harness either. Palmer's has a few pictures but not everything. If you are wanting to be "completely correct" it may be quite a challenge. There is a pretty good replica harness available from V-Twin and I'm told it is correct as far as color coding, terminals, and even the white sleeving. But I know that the reproduction loom covering, while very close is not exactly correct. It is a bit larger in diameter in most segments. Also a couple of the wire lengths are incorrect. Hopefully some more people will respond with more information. Hope this helps a little though.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Excellent replica wiring harnesses can be had at Hummer Emporium, too, believe it or not. That's where I got mine.
james
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Hauula Pan wrote:You are correct about the white ends, I have not seen any black though, but complete unmolested wire harnesses are a very rare breed. For 1952 I'm pretty sure that almost all wires had plain 90-degree metal flag terminals, with a few exceptions that were straight also bare eye terminals. The eye terminals went to the generator, and dash lights and switch. The places I have seen the white covering used were on a couple of the eye terminals which I believe were on the wire from the timer to the coil and the oil pressure switch. Not sure about the brake switch. There may have been some black sleeving used but on the harnesses I've seen I haven't seen any black used. There may also have been white used on more wires but again on the harnesses I've encountered I only saw it on the wires mentioned above. That doesn't mean that there couldn't have been more that were just missing from years of use and abuse. I don't know of any books that show a complete harness either. Palmer's has a few pictures but not everything. If you are wanting to be "completely correct" it may be quite a challenge. There is a pretty good replica harness available from V-Twin and I'm told it is correct as far as color coding, terminals, and even the white sleeving. But I know that the reproduction loom covering, while very close is not exactly correct. It is a bit larger in diameter in most segments. Also a couple of the wire lengths are incorrect. Hopefully some more people will respond with more information. Hope this helps a little though.
Thank you, jim

Return to “Electrical”