RUNNING AND SPOT LIGHTS

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tattoo mark
Bikes: 55fl,79flh,93flhtp

RUNNING AND SPOT LIGHTS

Post by tattoo mark »

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF YOU CAN BUY LOWER WATTAGE 12V LIGHT BULBS FOR HEADLIGHT,SPOT AND RUNNING LIGHTS? I AM RUNNING A BRAND NEW CYCLE ELECTRIC REGULATOR AND GENERATOR WITH A 7 AMP WESTCO BATTERY AND MY LIGHTS ARE PULLING TO MUCH AMPS I HAVE 10 LIGHTS TOTAL.THANKS,MARK
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: RUNNING AND SPOT LIGHTS

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Mark,
I would try swapping all the running lights and the tail light bulb for the LED equivalents, that should drop your total load down to something the charging system can handle.

Have you ever put an amp guage on the system to see what your max load is?, pull one of the leads off the battery and connect an analog amp guage in series, turn on all the lights and see how much it is pulling. Your total load is probably over 10 amps so I would be careful if you are using a digital meter unless you also use a shunt, most small digital meters will not handle that much current.

mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

and, when 10 lights just isn't enough, you can always add a few more.
I'm pretty sure that there is a stock 32E and OEM relay under there someplace powering the whole load!
wl-67.jpg
wl-67.jpg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 731 times
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

FlatHeadSix wrote:Mark,
I would try swapping all the running lights and the tail light bulb for the LED equivalents, that should drop your total load down to something the charging system can handle.

Have you ever put an amp guage on the system to see what your max load is?, pull one of the leads off the battery and connect an analog amp guage in series, turn on all the lights and see how much it is pulling. Your total load is probably over 10 amps so I would be careful if you are using a digital meter unless you also use a shunt, most small digital meters will not handle that much current.

mike
mike i have checked my amps and it is over 10 more like 14 amps any idea where to start looking for the leds?thanks,tm
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

mike any idea how much less amp led's are?just wondering,thanks again,tm
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

I PUT 6 LED RUNNING LIGHTS IN AND 1 LED STOP LIGHT I WENT FROM 16.9 AMPS TO 15.1 ALSO THATS WITH SPOTLAMP ON ITS STILL WAY TO HIGH,I THINK? IF SO ANY SUGGESTIONS?MY SPOTLAMPS ARE 30 WATT DOES ANYONE MAKE LOWER WATTAGE ONES?
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Check out the Knowledge Base post. I ran one of these gel batteries a few years ago and I have not had any battery problems since then. If I ran the spot lights with the mini-battery, I would have to make sure that I put the bike on a charger before taking a ride the following day. With the new battery, I only charge the battery after the winter.

12V battery: where to get one
Doug

Return to “Electrical”