Generator light on

1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Generator light on

Post by 1955fle »

I have a '55 FL that has been running great. Last rode Sunday for about 100 miles. Wanted to ride it last night and the generator light stayed on. Should I start looking at the generator brushes? Or is there a different sequence of testing I should do. Thanks for the help. -Carl
1955fle
1973 FLH

Re: Generator light on

Post by 1955fle »

I also should have mentioned that bike started on second kick and ran fine. The only issue was the generator light did not go out as usual. -Carl
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Carl
Are you running the 3-brush generator with a relay? Sometimes, when the ignition switch is still in the first "ignition only" position the voltage from the generator will not get above the threshold to trip the relay and extinguish the GEN light. Lots of things can contribute to this but its usually the result of dirty contacts, stickey relay, worn brushes, dirty commutator, loose or corroded wire connections, etc. You can usually get the relay to trip and make the light go out by switching the ignition to the 2nd click, when you turn the lights on it also bumps up the generator output and "cures" the problem. Once the GEN light goes out you can usually switch the ignition back to the 1st position and then it will operate as normal. Its a quick test, try it.

mike
1955fle
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

Mike thanks for the reply. Yes it is a 3 - brush generator with a relay. I tried switching the ignition switch to the second position. The head light came on but the light did not go out. I am guessing that it is ether stuck brushes or the relay contacts are stuck. As soon as I have some time I will go through it and hopefully find toe problem.

-Carl

Return to “Generator”