Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
craig60pan
Bikes: 1960 FL
1951 FL
2005 custom built softail
2018 street glide special

1951 fl horn switch wiring

Post by craig60pan »

Getting ready to rewire the handle bars on a 51 FL and am not sure if the horn button should be two wires or one
1) Wiring diagram shows one wire
2) Parts books show one and two wire versions
3) Wire that came out of handle bars was the two wire version but was not wired to a horn, ends were terminated
Anyone know what is right?
Thanks
CJ
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Re: 1951 fl horn switch wiring

Post by Perry Ruiter »

craig60pan wrote:Getting ready to rewire the handle bars on a 51 FL and am not sure if the horn button should be two wires or one
1) Wiring diagram shows one wire
2) Parts books show one and two wire versions
3) Wire that came out of handle bars was the two wire version but was not wired to a horn, ends were terminated
Anyone know what is right?
Thanks
CJ
CJ - the two wire part of the horn button has a -53 part number, but if you have rubber mounted risers I would recommend using it, even though technically not correct ... Perry
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

CJ
If you have grounded handlebars (not rubber mounted) then the 1-wire horn button will work fine. The button supplies the ground connection to the horn, the other terminal on the horn should be the hot side which get positive battery voltage from the ignition switch. One side of the button will be grounded to the bars and the wire will then feed ground to the horn.

If you have rubber mounted bars that are insulated from the chassis ground you will need the 2-wire switch. One wire from the button (doesn't matter which one) will be grounded somewhere on the chassis, the other will supply ground to the horn.

good luck

mike
craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan »

Perry, Mike,
Thanks for the quick response. It has the stock risers but I suspect the previous owner went with the two wire version to insure a solid ground.
Seems like the right choice to make. (the fact that I have a two wire replacement horn button has no bearing on my decision) I don't see a ground terminal on the terminal plate so I suspect any solid ground screw will do.
Perry
Are you doing any speedo rebuilds again? Last we talked you were focusing on your own stuff. I might have a candidate if you are. It came off the 51 but I think it is from a 60 police bike.
Looks nice but the trip odometer is bad, not sure if the speedo works as I have not had it running yet, but hopefully will know soon.
CJ
Attachments
speedo.jpg
speedo.jpg (92.6 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Post by Perry Ruiter »

craig60pan wrote: Perry
Are you doing any speedo rebuilds again? Last we talked you were focusing on your own stuff. I might have a candidate if you are. It came off the 51 but I think it is from a 60 police bike.
Looks nice but the trip odometer is bad, not sure if the speedo works as I have not had it running yet, but hopefully will know soon.
CJ
I'm perpetually behind as usual but always happy to help a past customer if I can ... Perry
craig60pan
1951 FL

Post by craig60pan »

Thanks perry, hopefully in the next few weeks it will come to life again.
CJ

Return to “Electrical”