Advantage of adding a starter relay on the 65 FLHs?

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Faustmill
Bikes: 65FLH 54FL

Advantage of adding a starter relay on the 65 FLHs?

Post by Faustmill »

65 FLH. It sounds like everyone agrees that it is best to add a relay between the starter button on the handlebars and the starter soleniod on the 65 Electraglides. What exactly does this do for you? Since the soleniod itself is a relay, it does not seem like adding another separate relay will supply any more electricity to the starter. That is, adding a relay will not help the starter turn the motor over any stronger, right? So is the benefit of adding a relay only to save wear and tear on the contacts in the starter button? Any clarification appreciated. Thanks.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: Advantage of adding a starter relay on the 65 FLHs?

Post by panz4ever »

This from HD Service Bulletin #551, dated 02/67...

Production Electra Glides, beginning 02-13-67, incorporate a relay in the starter control circuit to provide battery current directly to the regulator BAT terminal to the starter solenoid coil; the handlebar starter button is connected to the relay. This arrangement provides more positive pull-in of the starter pinion gear and solenoid main contacts under a low battery condition, and, in general provides more dependable starting.

The relay is recommended for use in early Electra glides, especially on motorcycles where starting circuit trouble has been experienced in the past.
Faustmill

Post by Faustmill »

Much appreciated. Thank you.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

The relay would be wired from battery to relay and from relay to starter with a big fat cable, much fatter than the one that can go to the handlebar pushbutton.

This means less resistance in the circuit, which means more current flows to the starter, and so spins it faster and harder.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Adding heavier wires to the relay does NOT get more current to the starter! The starter current is carried in the wire from the battery directly to the starter. The relay provides current to the solenoid creating the magnetic field necessary to work the plunger and has nothing to do with the current at the starter windings! It only creates a shorter path which = more current to the solenoid.
Robbie
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

You are correct, of course. My mistake.
Faustmill

Post by Faustmill »

I do not know how to attach the wiring diagram for a 68 Electraglide to this post. In any case, what it shows is that in order to add a relay to the 65 FLH, remove the little little wire (coming from from starter button) from the starter soleniod and attach it to the #3 terminal of the relay. Then run a wire from the BAT terminal on the regulator to the #1 terminal on the relay. Then run a wire from the #2 terminal on the relay to the little post on the solenoid where the starter button wire used to be. Do not change the big cables from the battery to the solenoid and from the soleniod to the starter -- leave them alone. The relay grounds through its attachment to the chassis. This is consistent with the HD Service bulletin posted above.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I do not know how to attach the wiring diagram for a 68 Electraglide to this post.
Here's how to do that: How to add a picture/attachment to your post
Underdoggie
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Post by Underdoggie »

My 65fl had about 15K on it back in 89, I took her on a poker run on a very hot day in July. When I got home late that afternoon and shut the ignition off, smoke started coming out around the ignition switch and you could tell from the smell it was electrical. Anyway I dont know why but I turned the switch back on and the problem stopped. I turned the switch back off and it started smoking again. Well, at that point I turned it back on (it stopped again) and disconnected the battery. I called Cotten and asked him what to do and got some smart a-s anwer that really meant figure it out kid.
I did, that is when I started to understand why the neutral switch had two wires on it. It was wired in series with the starter button and the solinoid, I guess so the starter would not work if the bike was not in neutral. The black plastic in mine had cracked and melted and caused a short. I replaced the neutral switch and added the relay per a service bulliten that Cotten showed me and never had anymore problems. I also noticed when I was looking at all this that the electrical system did not have any kind of fuse or main breaker in the system.
I added one of those too. I took a 35mm plastic film can, cut the bottom out and put the main breaker inside of it and put it between the battery and the oil tank. You cant even see it but it makes me feel better to know it is in there.
wheeels
Bikes: 1965 FLH

Post by wheeels »

what a cool thing to be able to find all the old service bulletins for panheads.....I wish there was a place to find em.....
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

The relay really is worth its weight when you loose your keys somewhere--Just a simple 2-inch piece of bailing-wire & your up running again!.--It would be a nightmare doing it with just the factory one.On the Added relay ALL wires incuding IG. are right there,& many mount them where its easy to get to.--Just another + side to it---respectfuly---Richie

Return to “Electrical”