Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Headlight H4 type

Post by fourthgear »

Does any one here tried or is using the Halogen H4 type head light system with a Gen charging system? I'm just curious as to what to expect if I switch to it . I'm using a AGM batt., just wondering if the Gen. system can keep up with it with a higher amp Batt.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Headlight H4 type

Post by caschnd1 »

I run a sealed beam from a 2005 H-D wide glide in my panhead. I'm not sure if it's a Halogen H4 type, but it is a Halogen light. Much brighter then the previous headlight I had.
My gen in a cycle electric with a low output regulator hooked to a YUASA YTZ14S sealed battery (14amp). Works really well. The bigger battery provides a nice buffer when sitting at stop lights so I don't get any dimming or flicker and the low output regulator keeps up with everything.

NOTE: The only other lighting I have is my tail light. No spots, no instruments, etc.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

caschnd1
I also have a cycle electric Gen , but with out the low out put reg. . My reg. is a solid state for a Gen. . The H 4 bulb I'm thinking of changing to is a 100 w/55w , I see there is also other wattages available . I have a 10 amp Batt. and spots and the extra four light set up in the rear. Just checking who's got experience with them there new tech. lights.I've never used them .
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I think that you would be at the max on the gen output
when I run my 60W head light and turn on my 35x2=70W spots, The total light draw is 120Watts,I see the lights dim down and this is with a LED rear tail light, these draw no real power.
so the draw for lights is 10amps+2amps for the coil=12 amps
this is on my bike with a 12v system, your results may vary...
let us know what you find as I'm kinda curious.

mbskeam
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

mbskeam,

Can you tell more about your LED-taillight?
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

well, I got the light from the auto parts store for 6 bucks, it has a 1157 base and went right in and I made leds for under the seat with parts from radio shack...running and brake

http://www.geocities.com/mbskeam/pics4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mbskeam
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I agree with Mbskeam, LED's are only the way to go.
Very little draw & super-bright ! & really last LONG time!!

Win/win situation... ;D Gotta love that !!!!
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Has anyone converted his original taillight into LED?
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
they sell these in the parts books, but the auto parts store is much cheaper.mine is a tomb stone light with LED in side and 2 small LEDs for the eyes, these flash from the guts that I stole outa one of those bike clip on lights.

mbskeam
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I agree-

My servi's (4) OEM taillights are all LED's, & yes the auto-parts IS much cheaper than any cycle parts book..
Conversion? auto-parts sells LED's for 1156 & 1157 sockets that go right in!! No mods needed...
Unless you are gonna use LED's on a New Bike, then because the draw is so low, you need to add a 'load equalizer' when using them for turn signals!!!
Plus an ol' timers trick, (my dad) was to paint the tail light backing inside 'White Gloss ' to reflect more light yet !!! It works !! Every bit helps.......

Mbskeam-

I dig the 'red-eyes' in yer tombstone/skull light!!! 8-)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I see the LED's they call spinners on E-bay a lot. I am wondering if these LED's will work with a 6 volt system. Any Idea if they make one to fit in an original 55 taillight housing?
I have a H4 head light on another bike that reassemble what I've installed in snowmobiles. It has three tabs to lock it in the socket. The light has a lense cover not sealed beam. It came with the bike, but I haven't run it long enough to tell if it flickers or drains the battery. The battery also came with the bike (not sure what battery it is) and it sits as I work on cosmetics. I have not had the battery drain on me and start it every weekend and run it a few miles around the neighborhood.
I am purchasing a Morris Mag for this bike and a Friend told me I need a capacitor to keep the lights from flickering if I choose to remove the battery. Any idea where I pick up this capacitor? I want to install the oil tank above my headlight and loose the battery.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I wish somebody would come up with a drop-in 6 volt LED replacement like the 1057, it would give the old Cycle-Ray on the front a few more amps to brighten up the night.
While "they" are at it they could come up with a 32E generator that could actually produce enough amps to carry the headlight and a couple of spotlights too!
wishful thinking I guess
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Mbskeam
That light is too cool! Kinda reminds me of the Gravedigger.
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

Panpal
If you go to a true electronic store I mean one of these guys that specialize in old tube type radios and tell them what your doing they should be able to help you. I don't know if it would be a lot cheaper but it's worth a try
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

That's it! Thanks 03! I can see the light

Return to “Electrical”