adding turn signals to a 50's era bike

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
engineguy63
Inactive member

adding turn signals to a 50's era bike

Post by engineguy63 »

Took a pan the other day for a ride (my bros. bike) and decided that is the way to go for me......however, with all the idiots on the road today, and the fact that several bikes I have been lookin at are titled as later years because of when/how they where put togather, (so I am told) I may want to add turn signals to get a MA inspection sticker. Is there a sorce for a kit to do this that does not look terrible, I assume there is little reason it can not be taken off at a later date if that was what I decided to do. Thanks for input and if someone has done this and has a photo.....send it along Thanks!!
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: adding turn signals to a 50's era bike

Post by 51Hog »

I did mine myself.
I picked up a couple of aftermarket amber bullet lights from eBay.
I had the two Red Guide dual element bullets for the back.
Picked up a 6v flasher and a replica handlebar dimmer switch off eBay. (Not self canceling)
I did not want to drill my handlebars so the switch is clamped on with tiny hose clamps--(Really Ugly)
Some cloth covered wire (So the install appears original).
I now have parking lights on the front along with turn signals, and turn signals on the rear with brake lights.
Works like a charm. I have had no problem with the generator or the battery running the lights and the low beam of the head light.
I am sure that someone offers a kit out there.
Dale
Attachments
LR.JPG
LR.JPG (295.98 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
LF.JPG
LF.JPG (65.68 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

51Hog, I have the OEM lights and flasher (still looking for the proper switch). If I hard mount it on my 49 EL, I assume it would have to go on the right handlebar since the horn and the high beam switch are on the left handlebar? It is that way on my 65 Pan.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

My switch is mounted on the right handlebar and positioned for thumb action.
Rt turn is down--Lft is up.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Just as a point of legality for you, in Mass you only need directionals to pass inspection if your bike is a 1973 model or newer. I've been getting inspection stickers for my '61 for the past thirty years with just headlight, tail light, brake light, and horn. (No high beam indicator either, they never seem to ask!). Riding using hand signals is tricky at night, but during the day I think the driver behind you is at least as apt to see your hand signal as a little blinking light, maybe even more so since they probably think at first, "what to hell is that guy waving his arm for?". LOL
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

RussW---
LOL---
Many of us older folks would be surprised how many of the younger generation have no idea what the legal hand signals look like. The only hand signal that many of them know how to use is the "I Hate My Neighbor Finger"
I don't think that hand signals are even in the driving exam now-----
Dale
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

When I lived in NJ, I used to love taking my 64 duo for inspection at the State Inspection Station in Newark.

The guy would say "brake", and I'd step on the brake pedal and he'd check the light. then he'd say "Left Turn" andI'd stick my arm out. Then he'd say "Right Turn" and I'd bend the elbow.

Only once in about 10 years did anyone question me at inspection, and I just said, "It never had turn signals-it's a 64" and he passed me with no other discussion.

These days, in PA, the guy who inspects my bike does it all himself.
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

I have a '55 and get an inspection in Mass every year with no turn signals. I get it at the HD Dealer. They have no idea what the bike should have or not. I only use hand signals with no problem.

Return to “Electrical”