wiring up spot lights

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
keiser

wiring up spot lights

Post by keiser »

Does anyone know the correct posts to connect the spot light wires up to on the connector board behind the headlight? What wire colors were originally used for restoration purposes?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: wiring up spot lights

Post by john HD »

what year bike?

there is a red wire from the switch that is hot all the time. terminal number 10.

that is where i wired mine.

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I have mine hooked to the same terminal as John, #10 on the board behind the fork tins. It is always hot so you have to use the little toggle switches on the back of the passing lamps to turn them on and off. The board terminal numbers were the same for the 49-57 rigids as for the 58 and up duo glides.

The diagram for the spot lights came with the accessory package, I'll try to post one later. The springers actually had a better system, there was another "dimmer" switch on the right side of the handlebar, factory hook up fed the power through it first and then to the main headlight. When you switched the one on the right it gave you either passing lamps (spots) or the main headlamp. You could not run all the lights at the same time and it kept the 32E from burning up. The nice part was that you could control everything from the handlebars instead of reaching down around the windshield and trying to flip the little toggle switches on the spot lights.

here's a couple of diagrams

mike

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

oops, that was me, I posted the Duo diagram link twice, here's the hardtail version

mike

Return to “Electrical”