JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
Bikes: 1956 FLH Panhead
1938 UL Flathead
1968 FL Shovel (Basket case)
2007 HD Street Bob

56 Panhead cuts out when ignition switch turns on headlights

Post by JohnnyBadBrains »

I replaced my volt regulator with a new Bosch, and also replaced my generator with a rebuilt HD one. Bike runs great, but now a new problem: if idling and I turn the ignition switch from "on" to "on with headlights" it dies out. If I do the same while going 40 MPH or so, the bike stutters. Any thoughts other than starting with the ignition switch and looking for short somewhere's?
pandit
Bikes: *

Post by pandit »

Hello
I think the regulator brings to low currant (A). Without light its enough for the ignition. With light is't not enough.
Pandit

Post by Guest »

First I would check the gen. output voltage; should be near 14V. Next see if the lights go on in the lights sw. position. If they do, there is no short. The switch might not have good contact with the ignition circuit in the lights position which you could check with an ohm meter and some wiggling of the switch.
panhead65

Short

Post by panhead65 »

It is the switch. Very common. Also, make sure the instrument housing isn't too tight. This will cause it tot short, also. Just take it off and see if it stop. You shouldn't feel any extra resistance in the switch when you tighten the housing. Those wires are very close together. It doesn't take much to cause a problem. Just buy a new switch abnd don't worry about it.
Mike
JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
Bikes: 1956 FLH Panhead
1938 UL Flathead
1968 FL Shovel (Basket case)
2007 HD Street Bob

Post by JohnnyBadBrains »

Thanks Mike, you hit it!! Instrument cover too tight, took it off, all working as designed, happy trails!

Return to “Electrical”