Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

WAY too much battery voltage

Post by 64duo »

my 64 just came off the stand after 2 years time. Fires up nice, seems strong. Getting Cottons rebuilt carby figured out on the starting. Need a little more snap in the kicker leg. (i'm too fat).
My issue now is the mini battery (12v) that sits in the tank, is showing 15-16 volts sitting there and can charge up to 18+ running seems like it;ll take more. I have a bosh voltage regulator and looked inside the points are closed on the right and dont seem to flip to the other side. I believe the points swap back & forth as voltage is needed or proper voltage is reached. Is that correct? How do I track down the the over/charging issue. I drained down the battery, eng off, with the headlights/spotlights till it read under 12.5. Turned off the headlight and the voltage reads 15 or better then upon starting gets even higher, back in the 17, 18+ range before I shut it down. Thoughts? (I'm not an electrician.)
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

what are you using for a voltmeter?

i would try another before condeming the bike or the battery.

john
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

john HD wrote:what are you using for a voltmeter?

i would try another before condeming the bike or the battery.

john
Radio Shack digital......thats the problem.
A neighbor with a quality device indicates normal + readings. Sorry for the panic attack...........

Return to “Electrical”