6 volt sealed battery

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
superdave
Former member

6 volt sealed battery

Post by superdave »

Description: Does anyone know if I could get a sealed 6 volt battery that will fit inside the oil tank

I have a 64 duo glide and I kept it 6 volt. Does anyone know if I could get a sealed 6 volt battery that will fit inside the oil tank and where I could get it? I bought one from antique cycle supply but it would leak out the top and make a mess. Any info would surely be appreciated.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Re: 6 volt sealed battery

Post by Skip »

Yes...I have used a battery out of an exit sign (6V) before...my buddy just bought one off ebay that seems to be ok...Skip
billyroyjoebob
Former member

Post by billyroyjoebob »

There are numerous sealed 6 volt made for our oil tank space on ebay
look in motors.ebay.com & punch in panhead battery & parts/accessories
you'll find em.
Jon
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

As long as you run a good electronic regulator, which won't fry a smaller amp battery, you can use these. I run a Cycle Electric regulator, and get about three seasons out of the 12 A/H, ES12-6. But here's the best deal...you can tape TWO of these batteries together and they will be 4" x 3.75" x 6", will still fit easily into the horseshoe tank. I did this, grounded both, and used a sealed single pole/double throw marine toggle switch to alternate between the positive poles of the two batteries. I switch back and forth every couple weeks to keep both charged, and I know that I will never be stranded with a dead battery again! Overkill, no doubt, but at about $13/battery including shipping, still cheaper than the lousy repro. 6 volt batteries available. By the way, I was told by another battery supply company which didn't sell MK brand to look for MK batteries; he said they were better made than anything his company sold.

http://www.batterystuff.com

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

We have a chain of stores here in Arizona called "Batteries Plus". I don't know if they are nation wide or how wide spread they are. They will take your existing 6V battery and cut it open. Empty out the acid and lead plates and rebuild it as a sealed battery. Now when I talked to them they were talking about rebuilding it as a sealed 12V. But I'll bet they can rebuild it as a sealed 6V too. Maybe you have a battery specialty shop in your area that can do that. It looks exactly like an old 6V lead acid battery when they are done.

-Craig
kell

Post by kell »

I buy cheap batteries from places like this:
http://www.allelectronics.com/
They have two or three 6 volt sealed batteries of different sizes to choose from. The only downside is that you have to deal with the 3/16" connectors, which might be a deal breaker for some people.
Fixman
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by Fixman »

The Interstate SLA 0980 is an 18 AH good size battery that weighs 6.8 lbs for $29.99. Go to:

http://www.ibsa.com/estore/default.asp

and search for SLA0980.

I cut the top off an old 6 volt lead acid battery and fit it onto one of those metal boxes advertised to convert your six volt to a twelve volt unit. The SLA 0980 fit in with a little modification and the finished unit looks original. I have also cleaned the guts out of the old six volt battery after cutting the top off and fit a six volt SLA inside. I used black tie wraps to attach the cut off top back onto the cleaned out case so that you can still lift out the battery using the lead terminal posts.

Kent
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

It's time again to replace my 6V battery. In the past I have purchased an H-2 6V battery 4.5 wide, 4 deep and 8.5 tall from V-Twin. These batteries continually destroy wires, terminals, connectors and everything around them.

I want to get a sealed battery this time. Has anyone found one that is approx this size. Putting a SLA in the old battery case interests me. Can I still ues the old terminals if I wire the inside battery to the outside terminals. Has anyone done this? Let me know
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Post by azpaul50 »

I've bought two with caps directly through the Harley dealer in the past and they were cheezy affairs basically made from thin plastic. I was reading somewhere that these batteries came in 22Amp and 31 Amp capacities originally. The latest one is very new so it'll be a while before I'll need another but I'll definitely consider a sealed one for the future.

Return to “Electrical”