Can you still use the HD Trumpet Horn with a Morris G5 magneto

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panache

Can you use the stock trumpet horn with a magneto

Post by panache »

Hello,

I've got a stock '64 FLH and I was wondering if you can still use the HD Trumpet Horn with a Morris G5 magneto. I've looked at all of the pics of magneto pans I could find -- and none of them had the trumpet horn. I figured that maybe the magneto was too big, but I thought I'd ask the wizards on this board to make sure...
I had promised Perry Kime out at Flo Headworks that I'd run a 'breaker with auto-advance. He did some amazing work on my pan's heads. I should take some pics of them and post 'em here. The intake valve is HUGE! Anyway, Perry wanted to make sure that I would run a 'breaker with an advance curve instead of the typical all/nothing manual advance. That and set the Linkert 15% richer. I figured that a Morris G5 would be a great way to run auto-advance.

Thanks!
sleeper

Re: Can you use the stock trumpet horn with a magneto

Post by sleeper »

panache-

The G-5 has a big 2 piece base, that makes the whole mag taller.
I seriously doubt you will fit a trumpet on w/G-5 mag.
Likely not a regular mag either, but not sure about those.
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

On the same note...my last pan had the block on the front ground off and I ran a hunt mag...was wondering if any of the mags will work with the block in place?

Thanks
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Panache,

When I built my chopper in 2003/2004 I had Perry do the motor for me. I originally considered putting a mag on it, but Perry talked me out of it. He suggested an electronic ignition (w/ auto advance) after I told him what I wanted to get out of the motor. I've been 100% satisfied and it was a fraction of the price of a Mag.
Something to consider that will maintain a closer to stock look. You'll have no trouble at all fitting your trumpet horn.

-Craig

Return to “Electrical”