System not charging

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
49txpan

System not charging

Post by 49txpan »

After 3 long months the 49 is back together. Rebuilt engine, tranny, chrome, etc. I did not rebuild the generator because it was working ok before but I did take it apart to paint the housing. Now the bike discharges as it runs till the battery drains and engine stops. I checked the wiring and all looks ok and can find no shorts. I only run a headlight off the system. I tried the trick I read here about looking for a short in the system by having the points gap open, battery wire disconnected and jumping the battery wire to the post with a voltage light. Mine lights up. Any ideas where and what to check?

Thanks
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: System not charging

Post by 03Roadking »

Txpan49
I would say you need to polarize your genny if you have a Clymer book it's Chapter 8 of the 48 to 65 panhead
After all wiring is connected momentarily connect a heavy jumper wire between the BAT and GEN terminals on the regulator, this brief current surge from the battery to the generator polarizes the generator.
All you have to do is touch the two terminals you just want a quick spark. That should take care of it if you didn't damage the generator when you put it back together which is unlikely
49txpan

Re: System not charging

Post by 49txpan »

Thanks. I did find the positive brush wire insulation pretty frayed and I put some heatshrink over it. I think I will try that.

Return to “Electrical”