Handle bar wiring

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
david999
Bikes: WLA

Handle bar wiring

Post by david999 »

Description: Can any body tell me how I can fit the wiring for the dip switch through the handle bar

Can any body tell me how I can fit the wiring for the dip switch through the handle bar.
It would help if I knew how to remove the advance retard cable so that I have more space.
David999
1950bobber

Re: Handle bar wiring

Post by 1950bobber »

David999....

You might try to unscrew the switch from the handlebar and snake a semi-rigid (or rigid!) wire down thru towards the riser-mount opening where you can grab enough to pull it by hand. Then attach the switch wires to this snaked wire on the switch end via tape/solder/etc. (any way you can make a secure connection so it won't separate off once you start pulling it from the riser-mount opening)...then do just that...pull it thru by pulling this semi rigid/rigid wire from the riser-mount opening. It is usually much easier to pull these wires thru than "push" them from the switch area....ANYBODY with a better solution might well chime in...my question....is it too dfficult to disconnect the throttle/advance cable? It might be a whole lot easier that way...then once you send the throttle/advance wire back thru it IS a semi-rigid/rigid wire itself! I could be all wet here...hope others add some direction or correct my thinking! Good luck...
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
kr8
Inactive member

Post by kr8 »

I've had some luck getting a pull string through bars using a shop vac with some duct tape on end of handlebars. If bars are open all the way through you can use a cotton ball ,from wifes stash, tied to end of string. Also grab her tweezers, while your raiding her make-up kit,to grab the string. Make sure you put tweezers back and all will be Jake.
oz
Bikes: *

Post by oz »

I wrapped a length of nylon cord with electrical tape to give it a bit of stiffness but pulling the cables through was really tight switch and the last bits connected to the switch I had to bunch up a bit under the switch as they wouldn't even pull back out then. So I would recommend taking out the advance retard cable first.
Servantnot
Inactive member

Post by Servantnot »

Wire Fish?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I use a length of bailing wire push it thru, connect to the wires & (making sure there are NO burrs on the handlebar holes) connect wires to bailing wire & gently pull up thru, while pushing wires as well, kinda like 1950 Bobber was saying.....

No problems .....(easy does it)...
56panman
Bikes: 56 flh in 58-64 frame
92 flhtc

Post by 56panman »

I just rewired mine recently. I removed the timer cable then pulled the wires thru and re-installed the timer cable. Its a good after-noon job but not very tough to do.
1)-Start be removing timer cable from timer.
2)-Remove horn button and remove the small cable-hub retainer screw as shown in photo.
3)-Remove spiral grip from h/bars.
4)-Remove timer cable thru the end of h/bar.
Hope this helps you decide which way you want to try.-Steve
david999
Bikes: WLA

Post by david999 »

Thanks guys,

you were a great help.
David

Return to “Electrical”