Polarize system

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Steve
Bikes: 49 panhead, 17 roadglide

Polarize system

Post by Steve »

I am new to the site and I'm glad I found it. I've had HD's for awhile (51 pan), which I sold years ago (dumb) and have an ultra classic now. just bought a 49 FL and I can't remember - do I bridge a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the generator relay to polarize. The battery has been disconnected - got a new battery (6 volt). Thanks for the reply. Steve
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Steve,
If your '49 still has the 3-brush 32E generator and relay system there is really no need to polarize the system following a battery change. The polarization requirement is for a 2-brush charging system, you are actually polarizing the regulator, not the generator. Since a 3-brush setup has no regulator it will work just fine without polarizing the system.

mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I believe you ARE polarizing the generator , not the regulator . If you have an electronic regulator , you do not need to re-polarize after batt. disconnect , but if mechanical regulator , you should re- polarize after any batt. disconnect or total batt. drain out .
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Fourthgear,

you just answered your own question, if you have an electronic regulator there is no need to polarize. Same deal if you have a relay instead of a regulator. When you polarize the systems with an external regulator, usually three coils inside; a current regulating coil, a voltage regulating coil, and a relay, you are matching the polarity of the regulator to the other components in the system; the battery (chassis ground) and the generator.

The 3-brush 32E generators have cast iron shoes that the field coils wrap around. The cast iron retains a small amount of magnatism when the system is shut off, this also keeps things polarized inside the generator. Unless you connect a set of jumper cables to the wrong battery terminals and seriously reverse the polarity with the relay closed you don't have to re-polarize following a battery change.

mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i guess i have been lucky.

i have a model 52 converted to 2 brush, still 6 volt and a delco 2 unit mechanical regulator.

i have never "had" to polarize it. it always works weather the battery has been out 2 hours 2 days or 2 months.

john
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Personally, I am a stickler for polarizing.....but not after battery replacement....see no need....only after generator or regulator replacement or removal....Skip
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I have seen them work both ways , some do need it and some don't . I have always polarized any mech. regulated system after batt. removal or disconnect, just to be sure and of course check charging rate after starting . see below from HD manual,

CAUTION: It is advisable to " flash " field coils whenever wires have been removed from generator or regulator; or after generator or battery has been removed or reinstalled. This is done to make sure generator has correct polarity . If polarity of generator is reversed , relay points will vibrate and burn . "Flash" field coils by momentarily touching a jumper wire between " BAT " terminal and " GEN " terminal on REGULATOR, after all wires have been properly connected and before starting engine. The momentary surge of current from the battery to generator will correctly polarize generator.

The only reason I excluded a ELECTRONIC regulators, is through experience with the two I have on my Panheads which I have had the batterys out and or disconnected numerous times and they keep on charging correctly . Now taking the generator out of the motor of course is a different ball of wax.

Return to “Electrical”