Electrical problems: advice needed

After giving her a good bath I went to start her and she wasn't happy.

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Snake33
Inactive member

Electrical problems: advice needed

Post by Snake33 »

I have a '65 pan which I decided to wash with the garden hose. After giving her a good bath I went to start her and she wasn't happy. On the first attempt (with the sissy pushbutton) there was a very slight effort to turn over. After that first attempt, the engine wouldn't turn over and most of the wires began to heat up and smoke as soon as I turned the ignition swith on. I'm no expert, but I know this ain't good! I took apart the ignition switch and cleaned it up, but there was no change. Where should I look now? Any help from the experienced experts out there would be appreciated.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Electrical problems: advice needed

Post by Jack_Hester »

Snake33 -

This one is not going to be easy to troubleshoot on a forum, as you have incurred a dead ground (or short, depending on what it is). My first thought would be to check the starter relay, under the battery. If it is the original type, it is not very water proof, and could be full of water. Just energizing it may have caused it to stay energized, from the water completing your switch path. That will fry things back through the switch, all the way to the iginition switch, if left with power on it. Just a starting point.

Jack
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Thanks I appreciate the advice and I will look into that next.

Jack,

Please forgive my ignorance....I only see the Delco-Remy starter motor under the battery. The Delco-Remy regulator is in front of the battery. I don't see anything else. So, what is the "starter relay" that may have filled up with water? I can't find any reference to it in my Clymer manual. If it helps, my '65 is completely stock.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I stand corrected. Trying to troubleshoot from memory on the older electric start machines. No starter relay until 1968. Your handlebar switch operates your starter solenoid, directly. Sorry to take you down a rabbit path. Told you that it would be tough to troubleshoot on the forum.

Jack
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

Snake, I have a 66 Shovel also and give it the power hose every 6 months if it needs it or not. I'v never had a problem with water But it sounds like your solenoid took a shit. If wires smoked you have a bigger problem. It will be hard to troubleshoot on the Forum. Good Luck
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Well it looks like I have traced it to the starter transmission switch/neutral indicator. What a pain. I ended up replacing half of the wiring harness along the way. I have to admit that I loved working on it...especially when I win! My wife doesn't get it!

Return to “Electrical”