Gen Info on Mechanical Regulators, I didn't know this...

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Gen Info on Mechanical Regulators, I didn't know this...

Post by foundationapps »

So, rode the bebuilt Pan in a softail frame for the first long(ish) distance ride 2 weeks ago. Both headlights on bright, a 60 watt halogen and 35 watt yellow spot (that one really gets peoples eyes welded up). 2 bullet markers and a 1157 tail light. Not much right? New CE 2569 (65A) generator, and I thought I was being cool and I put a mechanical Bosch regulator attached to the belt guard. Well, at the 80 mile turn around point, the tach needle started bouncing to the max stop, then down to zero, then back to the tru RPMs. Seen that before,,, oh oh...

Anyways, I shut down all lights and headed back towards the hut. 35 miles from home, the bike died completely, knew that was coming from the volt loss issue, or so I thought it was volt loss. I had a new CE 540 end mounted regulator that I hadn't put on yet as it was the backup unit for the Bosch. Long story short, got a ride into town, recovered the bike, mounted the 540 regulator, and radical readings off of the generator when testing the volt output. Generator stank when I opened it up.

[/The gist of this story.... Called CE and they answered on 1st ring. Great crew there. Told him my setup, and he said of the two mechanical regulators (Bosch and Delco), the Bosch ONLY regulates volts, NOT amps. The Delco does both. So,,, having that much draw, without amps being regulated, had the generator working TOO hard, thereby smoking it. I sent the generator to them with the new 540 attached. Inspection showed damaged armature and a couple of other things, they rebuilt the generator and sent it back.b]

1st real long range test ride to Bozeman, MT to see Tim McGraw and Faith Hill last Saturday, 2 up, heavy loaded, 70 mph most of the time, all lights bright, the CE 2569 and 540 performed flawlessly!!!! I really do miss the Bosch box though (NOT).

For general info, since we are all mostly lost in the electrics world.. lol

Respectfully
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Gen Info on Mechanical Regulators, I didn't know this...

Post by awander »

What you wrote about the Delco regulator also regulating current is true for the common 12V regulator, but most of the 6V mechanical Delco regulators do volts only just like the 12V Bosch.

When you take the cover off of the mech regulator, count how many "units" or relays you see inside. If there are only 2, then one will be the cutout relay, and the second will be the voltage regulator relay. If there is a third, that will be the current regulator relay.
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Re: Gen Info on Mechanical Regulators, I didn't know this...

Post by foundationapps »

I count 2 relays. Which makes sense I guess for the 12v Bosch regulator, from what I'm told. Was trying to avoid all things digital on this machine, but i'll eat the crap sandwich for the VR, cause the CE 540 is doing great!!! A single wire to the battery? That's perfect for my limited electrical capabilities.

However, am still keeping the Bosch mechanical if things go EMP south, but I won't need lights anyways... (AN-PVS/22)

Return to “Electrical”