Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Wiring Issue

Post by PanRider »

Been dealing with wiring issues. Couldn't get the back taillight to work. Finally figured out that with the new paint job, taillight wasn't getting grounded. Now I can't get my GEN and OIL lights to work. I've got the Gen wire coming from the battery terminal on the regulator going to the socket and the other wire from the socket going to a terminal on the dash. I've got a wire going from the oil pressure sending unit to one side of the socket and the other wire going to the same terminal on the dash. From the terminal on the dash I have a wire going to ignition, feeding both sockets. I hit the switch and I've got nothing. I hook up wires to the battery and sockets to test them and the sockets light up. But when I wire them back up as stated above I got nothing. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Wiring Issue

Post by Bigincher »

My suggestion is to go to the Documentation section on this site and find the factory wiring diagram for your year motorcycle. Sounds like your bike has pretty much stock wiring/switch/lighting, so you should be able to chase it down.

app.php/knowledgebase/category?id=3
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Step 1 would be, use a test probe to determine if current is reaching the bulb sockets with the ignition "on". As both are not working, it's probable that the feed side of the circuit is at fault.
Check the dash terminal: has a wire been attached to the wrong side of an insulator??
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Figured it out. It was the sockets that didn't seem to work. Put new and different sockets in and they work. Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “Electrical”