Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

wiring switch

Post by PanRider »

I've been looking at a 1000 wiring diagrams to figure out how to wire up my 62 with a 61 dash. The bike doesn't have any of the wiring panels behind the coil or the headlight. When I get to my switch is where I get confused. First, looking at my switch as seen in the picture, it has 5 terminals. Please correct me if I am wrong - on bottom right there are two terminals, a bottom one and a top one. According to the manual the top one goes to the battery and the voltage regulator. The top right terminal is the ignition terminal and a wire from the coil goes here. Also, a wire from the base terminal (above oil lightbulb,the shiny terminal) goes to the ignition terminal as well. The base terminal then is wired to one wire coming from the oil light and one from the generator light. The other wires from these lights go to the oil switch and one to the terminal on the regulator for the generator light. Also on this upper right terminal is connected the stop light switch and a wire coming from the horn button. On the upper left terminal are connected the headlight dimmer switch, tail light and speedo light. That all sound right?
I appreciate any education I can get here.

Dash.JPG
Dash.JPG (132.08 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Re: wiring switch

Post by rigidpanman »

google,harley chopper wiring and you wiil find real nice diagrams showing how to wire the switch.thats how i did mine.worked great
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Thanks Mark.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

PanRider, I have some killer old simplified wiring diagrams from a 1975 Jammers Handbook. I've got them scanned in digital format. I'm sure I have what you need, but I need to know ---
is it a the stock 6v system with stock 2-brush genny with mechanical regulator? Or what? Send me a Private Message with that info and your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Ooops. Never mind, they are TOO simplified. For use with 3-pole ignition switch, not stock switch.
I have one for a 6-lug switch, but not for a 5-lug.
Sorry, Man....
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Panrider,

Here is the link in the documentation section to wire up your bike.

1961 - 1964 Duo-Glide Wiring Diagram

Hope this helps!
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman »

wow!!,jammer might be where i saw those diagrams many moons ago.brings back memories
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

rigidpanman wrote:wow!!,jammer might be where i saw those diagrams many moons ago.brings back memories
Yah, it's a great magazine; how to build a bitching chopper out of an ugly old stocker panhead garbage wagon. lol. But there are a lot of bits of technical info that are timeless, as valid today as it was 40+ years ago. I'm glad I still have it after all these years.
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Bigincher wrote:
rigidpanman wrote:wow!!,jammer might be where i saw those diagrams many moons ago.brings back memories
Yah, it's a great magazine; how to build a bitching chopper out of an ugly old stocker panhead garbage wagon. lol. But there are a lot of bits of technical info that are timeless, as valid today as it was 40+ years ago. I'm glad I still have it after all these years.
Forty years ago I did call them garbage wagons, thank goodness I raked the neck on my 57 and chopped off the fender mounts on the lower legs (They looked so much better with the muffler clamps I used to put a fender on after my first ride in the rain)

Return to “Electrical”