Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

6 volt turn signal flasher

Post by Scrap »

I put turn signals on my 57 FL using late model HD handlebar switches and lights. Motor off, the battery is reading 6.03 volts. I've tried two different two prong 6 volt thermal flashers and one electronic style. The electronic type won't work at all, would not even light the bulbs. The thermal units will energize the bulbs but won't flash. With a 6 volt battery charger attached, one of the thermal flashers slowly flashed the front and rear signals, the other one just lit the bulbs but would not flash. Same results with the motor running and revved up. The 3 brush generator is putting out 2 amps on position one, 5 amps on position 2 ( which is too high according to the book). I even tried a 12 volt thermal flasher but that would not even light the bulbs. Is it possible that I have it wired in such a manner as there is not enough load heat up the flasher? Is there particular flasher that is more dependable than others? If you are running 6 volt turn signals what brand are you using and how old is it?
Thanks,
Sam
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 6 volt turn signal flasher

Post by RUBONE »

Flashers are rated for actual draw through them. If it is rated for high draw and the bulbs aren't enough to hit that rating it won't flash or will flash extremely slowly. What bulbs are you using?
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

Hi Sam, I had the same issue as well. make sure you are not grounding the flasher body - that will burn The unit instantly.
See attached scheme.
I bought a 6V flasher on eBay (2 prong round body) and installed it behind the tins on the left fork tube.
Again, make sure you're not shorting the body and run it by the diagram attached (ignore the 24V battery callout)

Ran
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Scrap
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Gotnoclass wrote:Hi Sam, I had the same issue as well. make sure you are not grounding the flasher body - that will burn The unit instantly.
See attached scheme.
I bought a 6V flasher on eBay (2 prong round body) and installed it behind the tins on the left fork tube.
Again, make sure you're not shorting the body and run it by the diagram attached (ignore the 24V battery callout)

Ran
Ran, thanks, that's how I wired it with the addition of 2 additional bulbs. I think Robbie may have me on the right track
Scrap
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

RUBONE wrote:Flashers are rated for actual draw through them. If it is rated for high draw and the bulbs aren't enough to hit that rating it won't flash or will flash extremely slowly. What bulbs are you using?
The rear set bulbs are A-4513. The fronts, because the late model HD fronts use dual filaments, the bulbs are
A-4813. I may have wired the brighter of the two filaments, not sure. The 6 volt bulbs I remember used to be 1154 & 1156 if I recall. Don't know if their different.
What is correct and are they readily available?
Thanks
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

My 56 with factory signals runs a 3 prong flasher. NAPA 535 has the same letters stamped on it as the original. I bought the NAPA and then found out the original was good.

Check the first similar post below for how to wire.
Scrap
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

I just checked and I have both filaments energized on the front signal lamps. According to spec sheet, the A-4813 dual filament bulb is 17 watts / 5 watts. That being the case I have a 22 watt load on the front lamps which would draw about 3.66 amps. The rear single filament A-4513 bulb is 17 watts which would draw about 2.83 amps. Does any of this explain why my bulbs don't flash? I could snip the 5 watt lead on the front lamps and this would equalize the rate of all four bulbs. Does anyone know if four 17 watt bulbs would be what is required for a 6 volt thermal flasher? Also, according to Gotnoclass, I should not ground the body of the flasher. The flasher is a rectangular metal body two prong Signal-Stat flasher, and I mounted it directly to the frame so it is grounded. Did that ruin it? Not sure why it needs to be isolated. Also, if I switch the X and the L leads on the flasher, it makes no difference. All four bulbs light but won't flash. Maybe I fried It? When I first installed the lights, they would flash if I had a 6 volt battery charger attached. Now they don't flash even with the 6 volt charger attached.
Thanks,
Sam

Return to “Electrical”