Generator light .

Sandrooney
Bikes: 1949 Panhead, 2010 Harley Tri Glide, 2015 Harley Road King

Generator light .

Post by Sandrooney »

I have a 49 EL converted to 12 volt with a brand new Cycle Electric generator with the end cap regulator. I rode the bike for the 1st time yesterday since getting it together. The generator light flashes on and off while going down the road. I know it will do that at an idle. I have not put it on a meter but at idle the lights dim and then brighten when revving which I guess indicates charging. Any idea What would cause the light to flash like that? The bulb doesn't seem any looser than the oil light bulb and the wire is tight.
Thanks for the help,
SR
Sandrooney

Re: Generator light .

Post by Sandrooney »

I just put a meter on it at the battery and it reads 14.50 when revved up some no lights. Thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

SR----14.50 going back in is GOOD!.I have seen that if you have a Lead/Acid type battery,Then the genny light would flikker sometimes!/Because of a low cell of electrolite./If Your running a AGM BATTERY/Then I would suspect that the lighting fixture bor wire are grounding somewhere.It dont take much of a shoet to light-off the green genny light./I would start as you did & trace back.Also dont tighten the DASH to hard!/It will give you those kind of problems!--With the worst being no IG.---I know CE says not to polarize the genny!./I ofcourse did mine /but Im not running the endmout reg. set in epoxy!./I polarized the Armature first from the Battery before I hooked-up my Non-ADJ. Epoxy regulater under the bike.IF its putting out voltage & your lights are bright when you raise the RPM,Then leave the polarizing alone./Backtrack from the dashpot,I think you may find a short in there.------Respectfully---Richie
Sandrooney

Post by Sandrooney »

Thanks Richie, I will look a little deeper.

Return to “Generator”