Voltage Regulator Bad?

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
rby1234
Bikes: 2003 Road King, 2004 Heritage Softail, 1948 Indian Chief, 1955 or so Panhead

Voltage Regulator Bad?

Post by rby1234 »

On my early shovel botton with a panhead top, It seems like my new battery has been draining prematurely (even though I keep a trickle charger on it). I have electric start so every amp seems to matter! My question is: regarding the wire that goes directly from my positive battery terminal to the voltage regulator; it has a short in it (it also goes to ground via an ohm meter). When I remove this (1965-1977) 3-wire voltage regulator and put an ohm meter on it, the middle red wire (positive) has continuity (connectivity) with the other two wires (which would go to the 2 generator posts), as well as to the grounded mounting bracket itself. I'm thinking this a bad voltage regulator with a short in it? Is my thinking correct? Thanks for any help...
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Voltage Regulator Bad?

Post by 58flh »

Check the genny!---remove from bike/use the battery & see if it will motor on the bench!.Usually if they motor -there good,but how good is another test I do.While its turning & supported in a vice /USE GOOD gloves & grab the gear!--If theres ALOT of TOURQUE in that you cant stop the genny by hand no matter how hard you try---Its good!.Check regulater coils!--Most likely its the problem!.Also Alot of guys forget //check your battery cond.--It may turn the motor over/but how good??--Look for half empty cells/or dry ones!--If you have a AGM type battery. DISREGUARD the levell check/.Chrge to 12+-volts & put a regulater on it!--use a 2-shunt type like BOSCH.You can get DELCO-REMY in 2-coil but not easy!.Some guys put the DELCOO-COVERS on the bosch reg.You can use the 3coil type like from a 50s car-(BUT REMEMBER thier OUTPUT is very HIGH!---You have to TWEAK the point gaps to your MANUAL SPECS>).Start motor & raise RPMs to 2500 & TWEAK until its putting 14.5 or 14.7-volts back in to the battery WITH HEADLIGHT ON!.----IF your not concerned about ORIGINALITY /I would use the BOSH 12-V REG.ITS TUFF & LASTS a LONG TIME!.PS--IN the K-Base you can read how to motor your genny & do a load test using a string of 2-headlamps!--If it lights them then the GENNY is putting out enuff AMPS!!!! & is GOOD!.---Respectfully---RICHIE//Also it matters on type of genny you have.Asumming a 65-A because of the electric-start.BUT you may have a nice 32-E worked to 2-brush & 12-V.Whatever the case The K-Base has your ANSWER on hook-up.Just remember its the AMPERAGE that counts from a genny!.15 to 17 is GOOD!.----RICHIE
rby1234
Bikes: 2003 Road King, 2004 Heritage Softail, 1948 Indian Chief, 1955 or so Panhead

Post by rby1234 »

Thanks for the tips on the generator. I was just wondering if the three wires all go to ground (while the voltage regulator is on the bench), is the voltage regulator bad? I thought I saw a testing diagram on the net that showed a quick meter test like that, but can't seem to find it again.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

What kind of voltage regulator do you have? The stock regulator would not have wires if it was removed from the bike and being tested on the bench, but rather 3 screw terminals. Also, the center terminal on the stock regulator is the Generator terminal, not the battery terminal.

From your description, it sounds like you may have a more-modern solid-state regulator with permanently-attached wires.

Also, when you say "all 3 wires go to ground", what kind of resistances are you measuring? The stock 3-unit regulator would measure some amount of resistance to ground on both the Generator and the Field terminals, but not on the Battery terminal.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Andy brings up a great point!--If you do have the Solid-state-type /& your genny proves good on the benchtest--Its the Regulater!/Remember when using these regulaters/Flash the genny from battery first--then proceed to install the regulater.----Richie

Return to “Electrical”