Cycle Electric

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sandrooney
Bikes: 1949 Panhead, 2010 Harley Tri Glide, 2015 Harley Road King

Cycle Electric

Post by Sandrooney »

I am going to convert to12 volts using the Cycle Electric generator w/regulator end cap. It says that the mounting holes need to be drilled out. Will a 6 volt generator still work if someone wanted to convert back ? Will it devalue the motor ? Thanks for any input you might have.
Kevin
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Re: Cycle Electric

Post by George Greer »

If they are telling you to drill out the holes on the engine..........

Don't do it!

Get a heli-coil and put in the generator mounting holes instead.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If you can fit a 5/16 bolt thru the cam-cover then use Heli-coils as GEORGE said!.--If you need to open the cam-cover some That can be heli-coiled also for the smaller bolts.If you need to go back to 6-V for RESALE Purpose.----Respectfully---Richie
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

Check stuff first mate, before i fitted my genny/reg rec combo from cycle electrics, i was told that it would not just fit, and i'd have to dremmel out the tunnel where it locates. This was not the case and it went straight on, i had to bend the clutch bracket a tiny bit for clearance.

Also a good tip, ensure to use the generator gear thats on your benny rather than a new one. Richie advised me of this. My cycle electric generator is working a treat, the battery is not cooking and i can ride around with my lights on now. I am using only a tiny battery and the full charge genny. Good luck.
Sandrooney

Post by Sandrooney »

George and 58 thanks for the help.
49bones. Just to clarify, you are using the high output generator and small battery ?
Thanks to all,
Kevin
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

I am yes. Initially i was concerned on this but, my battery is nearly new and one of the high spec ones, are they glass packed? Not sure, it takes a while to charge from the mains. I have done loads of miles like this, i check it for getting too hot, its fine, in fact as its small and with the way i have chocked the battery in the space in the oil tank it allows some air flow through there where as if i had a large battery it would fill the space and i guess get hot with the oil around it.

Also my Harley guy said it will be fine, the reg rec disgardes any un needed charge anyway, they only run high power for the first ten mins, it says that on the CE website. Its always worth checking on here with Richie for better peace of mind. Thats what i do! He's a top man! :mrgreen:
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

58flh wrote:If you can fit a 5/16 bolt thru the cam-cover then use Heli-coils as GEORGE said!.--If you need to open the cam-cover some That can be heli-coiled also for the smaller bolts.If you need to go back to 6-V for RESALE Purpose.----Respectfully---Richie

I think what Richie meant to say is - if the 5/16" bolts fit through your cover and case, you won't need to use heli-coils in the generator. If your cover and case are still sized for 1/4" bolts, then go ahead and heli-coil the holes in the generator. The 12 volt generators are tapped for 5/16"-24 bolts, but you can use a heli-coil to reduce the tapped hole down to 1/4"-24, allowing you to use the stock sized bolts for the 6 volt generators.

The old, quick and dirty method of adapting to the 12 volt generators was to drill out the cover case from 1/4" to 5/16" and then use later model 5/16" bolts to make the connection. Now a days we have relatively easy access to to 1/4"-24 heli-coils, so, we have that option instead of drilling out the holes. In fact, CycleElectric will install the heli-coils if you request them to when you buy a new 12 volt genny.

Geo.
Sandrooney

Post by Sandrooney »

I think I read somewhere that if helicoils are used that the generator would need to be shimmed. Is that correct ? If I was to drill them would I be able to go back with a stock generator ?
Thanks,
Kevin
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Sandroony---Olny certain older cases actually HAVE to be shimmed!-(It was desighned for it).On my 58 Theres no shimming just a gasket between genny & case -DONE!.--Thats why I have resorted to use the drive gear off the old genny as Every bushing in the cover & case have been hand scraped to Running specs.& its all broken in & very quiet!-(It surprised me how quet the gearcase runs).Remember Cycle Elec. gennys are Produced on Machines AQUIRED from the Moco!--There fit is perfect!.If you have a foot cluth & the endmount genny/It gets TIGHT in there//Thats what 49 was saying -(he had to bend or shim the pedal set-up so it dont rub on the end-regulater.Thanks GEORGE for clearing it up for me.You typed it way more understanding then I did.///All in all consider your riding & buy the (low-V or Hi-V genny).I havent heard of any complaints on these S-Roony.I did not know they even exsisted until I learned how to use a PC!.There are Men running these hard for MANY yrs. & they perform FLAWLESSLY!----Respectfully----Richie
Sandrooney

Post by Sandrooney »

Thanks a lot for you help Richie.

Return to “Electrical”