Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
roadrats
Bikes: WLC 1943
Panhead 1965

12v regulator and alternator died for the 2nd time

Post by roadrats »

for the 2nd time in 1 years time, my alternator died. Also the voltage regulator no longer works correctly. Now I'm after fitting a new dynamo also the (faulty) voltage regulators agree, at both instances appears to be the "shunt" thread have melted. This is a thin wire that runs from the most right-wing to the left relay in the voltage regulator (you can see it between the relay on the right and the middle. My question, you recognize this problem and what could be the cause? Also now I have replace alternator and voltage regulator again but this should not be a annual cost!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 12v regulator and alternator died for the 2nd time

Post by 58flh »

Roadrats---You said Regulater & Alternater!/Then later you mentioned your bying a new dynamo.So what your running is not a Alt. but a generater!--,That reg. may have destroyed the genny!-It is a Delco-Remy ,but it is for a car & therefore set to high-output!.I ran the Exact same reg. for yrs. (STILL have it!.What you should of done was tweaked the points in the regulater for 6-Volt or 12-Volt output whatever it is your running.Alternaters are internally regulated 1-piece!.I would take & find out what Generater you have & Use the manual for checking on a bench for the OUTPUT of GENNY olny -Using a fully charged battery!.You could of toasted the armature(dynamo)-but if its a model-58 converted to 2-brush//That is a pretty stout generater.Use your digital multimeter & go thru the cheks in the MANUAL!--If you dont have a manual/theres ones on the K-BASE of this site to download or just write the numbers down & follow procedure.---Respectfully----Richie
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

roadrats,

Here is the link for Cycle Electric. Give them a call, they have 6 or 12 for your application.

http://cycleelectricinc.com/index.html
roadrats
Bikes: WLC 1943
Panhead 1965

Post by roadrats »

ozwick86 wrote:roadrats,

Here is the link for Cycle Electric. Give them a call, they have 6 or 12 for your application.

http://cycleelectricinc.com/index.html
Thanks, I'll contact Storehouse on Monday. Have a good weekend, Jan

Return to “Electrical”