Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Right fuse for my panhead?

Post by Mark44 »

I have a 48-ish Panhead with 12-volt setup. To prevent mishaps I would like to add a fuse on the + side of the battery. I read a few posts in the KB, but didn't find anything definitive, and one post where the guy was using a 30A breaker, which seems like overkill for my system.

Based on the normal load (headlight, taillight, dash lights, front fender light, ignition), I think a 15 A. fuse would suffice, and maybe a 10 A fuse would do. Any thoughts?
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Right fuse for my panhead?

Post by old.wrench »

Mark,
Generally, you size your fuse or breaker based on the wire size used in your harness.
Each size of wire will comfortably handle "X" amount of amps at a given voltage (6v, 12v, 120v, etc.).
If you are just using one breaker or fuse to protect your whole harness, you would size your breaker (or fuse) to protect the smallest gauge of wire in your harness.
For example, on my Pan I use 12 ga. and 16 ga. wire in my harness, I run a 12 volt system, and I run a 20 amp breaker. I believe the 12ga. wire will handle more than 20 amps, but more than 20 amps might heat up my 16ga. wire, so I use a 20 amp breaker.

It's always a good idea to properly protect your wiring system.
I got a really painful burn back when I was a youngster as a result of no fuse, no breaker, and no sense. A buddy's bike was acting up and we noticed a wire with smoke coming out of it - even though he had turned off his ignition. I grabbed the wire and yanked it loose, but not before it burned the piss out of my hand. A third degree burn makes you sober up very quickly :oops: .

Geo.

EDIT: here is a link for wire info-
http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Support ... nTable.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

Thanks, George...
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

I had a 20amp fuse on my 6V system, that did not do a good job, as I fried the battery when accidentally shorting out with a wrench. Switched to a 15amp, and it seems to work like a charm.
15amp would be my vote.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

44--I just upgraded to a CE set-up & for my 12-volt sys.-(20amp) fuse was the number right off the phone!/My wiring is mostly 12 & 14G.--You also have a choice of auto reset /or just basic plug-in .I went with simple basic plug-in on the POSITIVE terminal.---Respectfully---Richie
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

you should consider using at least 2 fuses . one for ignition 10a , and one for lights 15or20a .., that way if you short out your lights you still have fire to make it home !

Return to “Electrical”