Idiot light with electronic regulator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pandummy

Idiot light with electronic regulator

Post by pandummy »

I have a 6 volt system with two wire generator and electronic regulator with three wires. The red and green wires from the regulator go to the generator and the black wire goes to the ignition switch. Any idea how to wire the generator light into this setup?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Is it an electronic regulator from 45partsdepot?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Yep, it depends on what type of charging system you are running , relay type or regulator type. That Gen. light fixture is not a grounded fixture , it will have the center wire to the "A " term. on the Gen. and the outer wire to a SWITCHED batt. "+" term. on the ign. switch. Since you have a electronic reg., you can put it on the # 5 term. on the ign. switch ( looking at the switch from the seat , it would be the upper left term. or the eleven o'clock position. If you have a five term. ign. switch ie. stock) I would run a separate circuit for the light , you will need a wire from the "A" term. on the Gen. ( all show it to be a green colored wire )to the center wire on the light fixture ( dash light )and the other wire from the fixture to the # 5 term. on the ign. switch. That # 5 term. on the ign. switch is supplying SWITCHED batt. voltage to the # 6 junction term. on the dash( stock wiring ), but you can bypass it if you are not using it, as some do and it probably does not matter which wire is used for which on the light fixture. You are supplying batt. voltage to the Gen. when you first turn the ign. switch on and that's why the light lights until your Gen. voltage exceeds batt. voltage when motor is started and there is enough RPM's for proper out put from the Gen.. Does your black wire go on the # 1 term. on the ign. switch ? Hope it helps ya.
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Post by PeterRytter »

By the way....

Im pretty sure that the black wire should run directly to the batterys + terminal, without any switches...

Correct me if im wrong
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

In a stock wired bike , it goes to the rear term. box, term. # 39(which is wired to the "+" side of the batt. ), under the coil bracket , but some eliminate that panel and run every thing to the switch . Some thing I don't do, I was only describing the Gen. light wiring.
VT

Post by VT »

This is all good stuff. thanks for conversing in english.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

I would run a separate circuit for the light
good post fourthgear! i was going to suggest the same as this is how i did my '55. i converted to 2 brush with a delco mech. regulator.

virtual beer for you!

john :D
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Guys.....
pandummy never made it really clear about what he actually had, all he said was 2 WIRE generator and 3 wire electronic regulator. All the generators were 2 wire, what he needs to clear up is if it is a 2 brush or 3 brush system.

If it is a 3 brush generator and a solid state cut-out relay here is the answer. Hold the relay so that the 2 terminal end is up as you look at it from the top, the terminal on the left should be marked "BAT", the red wire hooks to it and goes straight to the positive battery terminal. The relay connection next to it on the right is the ground feed for the idiot light, black wire from the dash. The relay terminal on the opposite end is the green wire from the "RELAY" connection on the generator, the one toward the rear of the bike as it is mounted on the engine.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

There should also go an orange wire form the generator 'A' to the ignition switch. (as fourthgear wrote).

Return to “Electrical”