Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

AGM BATTERIES

Post by 58flh »

Well its been riding season for some time now!---I was wondering how you guys running the AGMs have been making out???--My EXP. has been---Im on my 3rd year, & Last year Ileft the battery outside for 2-months before I realized it one day!.--Checked voltage & it had 12.2 Volts!--Usually it has close to 13-V!.--I run a 65-A genny/ Bosch regulater, LED tail-light,& a H-4 Halogen---55watt low-beam & 100watt Hi-beam. And normal dash bulbs!--Very simple set-up.When I installed the battery I never charged-it as it had 12.2-V already!.I polarized & off I went!--No ISSUES WHATSOEVER!. After about a 30-mile first-ride check everything deal, my Voltage was back to normal at 12.8!--BIKE-OFF!. And I ran my Halogen as its Law to run HEADLIGHT in the day. The batt is a 10-amp/320cca--that I purchased in AUTOZONE for $99.--Now in the last 2yrs. I ran the headlight for 6-HRS. straight comming from Perryappolis PA to home in NJ!.I did this twice!/This JULY will be the 3rd on the same AGM-BATTERY!---HOW IS everyone elses EXP. been with these GREAT AGMs!????--I will never use or recommend a Lead-Acid type EVER AGAIN!.Also the guys I ride with are using AGMs with GREAT RESULTS ALSO!-& on GENNY BIKES!----RICHIE? SORRY FOR THE POSTS AGAIN!--NEW MOUSE TODAY!---Respectfully---RICHIE
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: AGM BATTERIES

Post by Bigincher »

I run an AGM battery in my Evo. Factory HD battery, 12v.
They like to be used, and I generally get about 7 years on a battery.
Incidentally, I had to replace the battery in my Evo a couple weeks ago. It was only 6 years old, but I'd not ridden the bike very much the past couple of years, so replacing it at 6 years wasn't out of the ordinary.
But wait 'till you hear this----
I bought the battery at the HD shop; why not, it's an HD part, they had it in stock, and fully charged ready to go. I went and picked it up, and the "parts person" (a female with long gray hair, emitting an aura of experience, perhaps falsely) asked me if I park the bike on a concrete floor.
"Well, yes I do."
Then she told me the battery will last longer if I put a piece of rubber between the kick stand and the concrete floor.
I looked her square in the face to see if she was pulling my leg, but Nope, she was serious. She actually believed it.
I very politely told her that I've been parking on concrete for over 40 years without any issues, and I damn sure wasn't going to change now.

Maybe she thought I had a brand new all-electronic partially water-cooled Twinkie. And maybe such a myth is true with that kind of bike.
But it sure ain't true with MY motorcycles....!
HDChevroletUSA
Bikes: 60 FL Dual-Glide
79 FLH Electra Glide
80 FLHC Electra Glide Classic
03 FXD Super Glide

Post by HDChevroletUSA »

Don't know what an "AGM" battery is yet, but learning stuff from you guys is what this forum is all about. I can't contribute to the AGM discussion but I've got to tell you guys about my conventional battery that came in my 03 Superglide. I took delivery in the fall of 02, and I've used a float charger on it. Today, almost 12 years later, the battery is still as strong as ever! Can't believe it!
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

"AGM" is Absorbent Glass Matt.
You can use your imagination to see what that might look like inside the battery.
Better yet, you can use the internet to educate yourself on all the different styles of batteries out there and their individual strengths and weaknesses.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The battery in my 99 Road King was in use for eight years, I only changed it because I was taking a long trip and thought it wise. I used that same battery to power a small bilge pump I used to water trees the scouts planted around our storm pond behind my house for another three years! I would charge it up with my deltron charger then leave it pump all night or until the battery went dead, grab it in the morning and repeat when ever it was real dry around the new trees. The second battery is still in service after eight years...
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I'm using a 6 volt Shorai lithium iron battery in a replica HD battery case from Chris Daniel.
It comes with all the padding you need to make it fit snug in the case. Holds its charge forever, no problem with oil tank heat either.
The battery going dead from sitting on concrete is not true. Years ago you were told to never sit a battery on concrete, it will drain the battery, set it on a block of wood or something. It's like a old wives tale.

Jim
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I have the Yuasa YZ14S sealed going on 9 years with the Cycle Electric Low output generator end mount regulator.

I will most likely buy another one. I have been looking at one of those new lithium.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Well Im glad to see that ,I never trickle charged mine , since it was new!--(just the fist time & that was it!--(Lithiom-ION???)-Are they sealed & can be flipped sideways if need be??---Im sold on the AGMs!---I suppose were going to see more NEW POWER BOXES as TECH. gets NEWER & NEWER!---Respectfully--RICHIE
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Mine has been on a trickle charger 99.9% of the time.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I have a small 6V 18ah battery that fits inside of the old gutted HD battery. After sitting all winter I put the battery tender on it and almost immediately it turns green, blinks for about a half hour then full green light. They are also real cheap at Batteries Plus...
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

Panacea wrote:I have a small 6V 18ah battery that fits inside of the old gutted HD battery. After sitting all winter I put the battery tender on it and almost immediately it turns green, blinks for about a half hour then full green light. They are also real cheap at Batteries Plus...
Panacea, what brand is it?
fl9018
Bikes: '80 FLT
'51 FL Bobber

Post by fl9018 »

I put one in a '73 BMW about 3 years ago and I will never go back to a lead acid battery again. I live in Wisconsin and I have yet to take it out during the winter months let alone throw a battery tender on it.
As for my '51 panhead, I will get a 12 volt AGM this year. Has anybody found one to fit the old 6 volt battery case?
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

FL98---YES the AGMs come in a few diff. sizes!--As you probably already know you can install them sideways fit in a stock-6-volt box, if your running 6V. & Alot of the guys that went 12-V, Use the AGMs inside the 6-volt box!--(Im sure someone will help you here as THERE is a MEMBER who makes STOCK boxes FOR this & other type applications!---Respectfully---RICHIE
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I installed a Werker WKA12-12F2 sealed battery this Spring in my 12v 51FL. I got only one year out of a V-Twin sealed 12v battery.
I've been running that crappy little 12N5.5 yamaha battery for decades in 12v Pans, they last about one year and boil dry every two weeks.
The Werker battery is rated at 12 amps, so it matches a -65a generator's output well. Batteries Plus has them for $49.99.
VPH-D

Return to “Electrical”