Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
sidecarmike
Bikes: 1945 Harley-Davidson EL
1965 Harley-Davidson FLH
2011 Harley-Davidson FLTRU

Solid State Regulator

Post by sidecarmike »

I have a ’65 FLH and I replaced the old mechanical relay type regulator with a new solid state regulator. When I turn the ignition switch on the generator indicator light is off. When I start the engine, the generator light stays off when the engine is at idle. When I increase engine rpm the generator light turns on and stays on at all engine speeds. The light stays on until I turn the ignition switch off.

All the while I have a volt meter connected at the battery. At idle, the volt meter reads about 12.5 volts. At higher rpm speeds the volt meter reads 14 volts.

What’s going on here? How can I get the generator light to turn off when the battery is being properly charged?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Solid State Regulator

Post by 58flh »

cant answer your question with confidence!--BUT The same issue happened to a buddies 66flh!--He installed a solidstate or -(voltpak)-in place of the mechanical regulater.--The fix was easy!--Put the mechanical regulater back on that belongs there.--I have had a solidstate on a later bike & it does get wired somewhat differently on the Armature side of unit.--AWANDER or somebody else can tell you EXACTLY what & what not to hook-up!--Don't experiment because 1-spark & that $70-unit is toast!---RESPECTFULLY--RICHIE
sidecarmike
Bikes: 1945 Harley-Davidson EL
1965 Harley-Davidson FLH
2011 Harley-Davidson FLTRU

Re: Solid State Regulator

Post by sidecarmike »

I’ve solved my problem. The generator indicator lamp has two wires. One wire goes to the “A” terminal on the generator. I assumed that the other lead went to ground. That was my mistake. The other lead goes to a hot terminal connected to the battery. Now that I removed the ground wire and reconnected it to 12 volts, everything works correctly. Now I can put some miles on this newly assembled ’65. Thanks.

Return to “Electrical”