Headlight improvement

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
toolscum

Headlight improvement

Post by toolscum »

How many of you are riding with a 5 3/4" sealed beam headlight? Can't see far enough? Do I have a solution for you and it's only about $40! Halogen conversion with a standard H4 bulb! Why didn't I do this a long time ago? Now I can see those deer, potholes, and junk in the road in time to do something about it. If you haven't converted yours, do it now! The one I got is from "Candlepower", "fits all Fx Superglide & XL Sportster," part #12526. It's the "night & day" difference!
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Re: Headlight

Post by Rammy »

what about the sealed beam for the FL , is their a better than stock lite for 6V or are we stuck :-/
Rammy
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Rammy, I am useing a 6 volt 5 3/4" sealed beam . The First thing to check is how much voltage is actualy getting to the headlight terminals .You can loose voltage because of resistance in the wire (called voltage drop)and since you only have 6 total you cant afford to loose any.I was only getting 4 volts to mine (engine off) and after increasing all the wire from the battery to the light By 2 guage sizes it went up to 5.8 ! BIG improvrment! You can do a quick test by running a second wire from the battery + right to a headlight terminal.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

How many of you are riding with a 5 3/4" sealed beam headlight? Can't see far enough? Do I have a solution for you and it's only about $40! Halogen conversion with a standard H4 bulb! Why didn't I do this a long time ago? Now I can see those deer, potholes, and junk in the road in time to do something about it. If you haven't converted yours, do it now! The one I got is from "Candlepower", "fits all Fx Superglide & XL Sportster," part #12526. It's the "night & day" difference!'
Did you try the Halogen sealed beam b-4 going to the H-4 series ?
I haven't looked at headlights for quite some time. Can you still get standard 5 3/4 sealed beam headlights ?
I know you can get Halogen 5 3/4 sealed beam headlights for about $15.00.
If you want the H-4 Halogen series headlights that puts you into th $40-$50 range.
I'm just curious because I'm running the 48 springer headlight and I don't think that they make Halogens for this one.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I have an H4 bulb in my new project and it resembles exactly what I bought for my snowmobile two years ago. It has a triple tab flat metal base that you install from the back of the reflector. These bulbs were under $15 each if I am remembering correctly. The initial set up may cost more, but the price of bulbs isn't that bad. And the light it puts off is.....well

Return to “Electrical”