Headlight wiring and ground on a 1949

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Headlight wiring and ground on a 1949

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Can someone tell me where these wires go on the terminal board ? The green, blue and white. Also which terminal goes to ground ?

Thanks
Leon
Attachments
headlight wires.jpg
headlight wires.jpg (412.52 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Headlight wiring and ground on a 1949

Post by 1950Panhead »

There is a wire from the ignition switch that goes to the terminal board, the wire is hot (6 volt) when the switch is turned to the second position.
The blue, green, white wires should go to the hi/lo switch on the left handlebar. My guess is 6 volt goes to the switch on the white wire and comes back on the blue or green wire based on hi/lo switch position.
Connect the white wire to the wire coming from the ignition switch, check for 6 volt on the blue and green wires as you switch the hi/lo switch. If you don't see 6 volt alternatley on the blue green wires as you move the hi/lo switch my guess is incorrect.
If true above) connect the blue wire and one headlight wire on an unused terminal, connect the green wire and the other headlight wire on another unused terminal.
Jerry
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

1950Panhead wrote:There is a wire from the ignition switch that goes to the terminal board, the wire is hot (6 volt) when the switch is turned to the second position.
The blue, green, white wires should go to the hi/lo switch on the left handlebar. My guess is 6 volt goes to the switch on the white wire and comes back on the blue or green wire based on hi/lo switch position.
Connect the white wire to the wire coming from the ignition switch, check for 6 volt on the blue and green wires as you switch the hi/lo switch. If you don't see 6 volt alternatley on the blue green wires as you move the hi/lo switch my guess is incorrect.
If true above) connect the blue wire and one headlight wire on an unused terminal, connect the green wire and the other headlight wire on another unused terminal.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

1950Panhead wrote:There is a wire from the ignition switch that goes to the terminal board, the wire is hot (6 volt) when the switch is turned to the second position.
Jerry
Just realized I didn't mention that those three wires are coming from the dimmer switch.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Leon!---if your machine is wired according to stock-diagrams then just sit with a blown-up pic. & good battery.-Volt meter & trace away!---1950pans wiring sounds close like the dia. I looked at!---NOW for the GROUND!--it will be obvious as it will most likely go to a terminal that also holds the board on the bike!-(screw thru terminal-board & into a steel frame tab--will be neg.).Also run more then 1-ground!--a black cable your main ,-& then another from batt. to a hidden spot on the frame!.--Its a GOOD thing to have!---(I run 3-grounds & you cant see any of them ,olny the cable from battery!-2-more from batt. to frontend,& another to frame.---On rigids its a good-thing!,cause they will bounce-loose or if not tended to properly the green color on the ends will eat its way thru in time!---SOLDER ALL YOUR TERMINALS!---Good-luck & shes looking fine :D ----respectfuly---RICHIE 8)
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

None of the wires from the HI-LO switch should be run to ground.

The way the switch works is as stated above, one wire carries 6V to the switch from the terminal that is hot when the ignition switch is in the "lights on" position. The other wires carry switched 6V from the HI-LO switch to the Lo beam filament, and to the Hi beam filament. You will need a voltmeter or an ohmmeter to figure out which wires from the HI-LO switch are Common, Hi, and LO.

Stock H-D colors for the HI-LO switch wiring were Red/Yel(this means Red with a Yellow tracer) and Blk/Red to the heaadlight, and Red/Blk to the "hot when the ignition switch is in the "lights on" position" Terminal (which should be terminal 9 if wired stock).

Return to “Electrical”