6volt to 12volt

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pan58head

6volt to 12volt

Post by pan58head »

Hello All, New to the forum I just recently bought a 58 pan (on 52 wishbone) and I'm looking to change it over from 6 volt to 12 volt. Or if someone know a way to make the tail light briter with the 6 volt. Thanks In advance SSB
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Or if someone know a way to make the tail light briter with the 6 volt. Thanks In advance SSB
paint the inside of the tail light white or silver.

also make sure you have a good ground.

john
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Good tip John on painting the inside of the light. Also as you noted grounding is critical. I have run ground wires from both head and tail lights to the ground tab on the frame. Result is much brighter lights. Also critical is the cut out relay. When I changed from the mechanical to the solid state relay I noticed a lot of improvement, my battery stays charged and lights are brighter.

But even at maximum efficiency the tombstone light is not noticable enough to be safe. It needs to be augmented by a couple of bullet lights at least.

I am leaning toward the Cycle Electric 12V generator with a solid state regulator that will fit under my Delco Remy relay cover. The only instalation problem with the CE generator is that it uses the later larger diameter bolts which necessatates drilling out the gear case cover to allow them to fit. You can get around this by having CE install helicoils in the generator to fit the stock bolts.

King
pan58head

6volt to 12volt

Post by pan58head »

Thankjs for the response. I'm going to try a better ground and paint first. Can I get away with a later model generator instead of converting the 6 volt generator. I agree with the tombstone isn't enough light on the rear only. I was thinking about a small bullets down by the swing arm axle bolts but I can only find them in 12 volt Thanks SSB
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

SSB!

Your 6v can be converted, but it is too much trouble to make it worth less!
(Especially if yours has the Gits oiler on the endcap: very desireable.)

65a generators are the most common 12v, and they all cost pretty much the same to recondition.

Bullet lights should be mounted as high as possible, as cars approaching from behind mistake them for another car farther down the road.

...Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

but I can only find them in 12 volt
try the original style guide marker lamps, you can put what ever bulb you like in them.

the price is steep for nice ones. there are reproductions that are inexpensive.

i have a set of originals mounted under my spring seat and they are definately brighter than my tail light!

also you might try a couple of those glass jeweled license plate fasteners, in my book the more light you cast or reflect twards the rear the better!

john
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Cotten

What's a Gits oiler??

Pan58head

Cotten’s point is well taken. Anything you do to your bike that deviates from stock lowers its value not only dollar wise but as an historical artifact. I have made a few "improvements" such as STD heads but all of the original parts are carefully preserved and with some refurbishment could be reinstalled. Also I will never do any mods to the frame, engine cases, etc since those are very hard to undo.

So I would just mothball the 32E and install a 65A (preferring the Cycle Electric version) and go from there. Then you can install any type of lights you want. We have 12V converted Pans and Flatties in our club with rear lights you can see in daylight!

Happy Holidays

King
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Gits Bros. made the little nickel-plated oiler cups with a springloaded lid. The Model 58 two-brush generator had one for a bushing in the endcap. (Later models had bearings.)

A Cycle Electric standard generator is virtually identical to the originals (Model 61; 65a), as they are produced upon some of the original machinery!
Beware of the endmount regulator versions however, unless your project is a rad custom. Their separate SS regulators are easily stashed beneath the generator, and either are available in a Low Voltage output for use with a battery within an oiltank.

12volt is certainly most convenient, and the batteries are cheaper,... but a two-brush 6volt system can light up the road every bit as well.

...Cotten
john HD

Post by john HD »

,... but a two-brush 6volt system can light up the road every bit as well.
amen cotten, after fixing some ground issues on my pan my 2 brush set up is just as brite as a 12volt.

to me it seems the stock style 6v batteries last forever so they are cheaper in the long run. got 10 years out of my last one, current one is going on five now.

john
pan58head

6volt to 12volt

Post by pan58head »

Hello All thanks for info. My pan is very far from stock(sorry to say). It is what you would call a mutt(mant years of parts). I love the restored pans, maybe someday. I'm just looking to get the bike so I can feel confident riding more than around the block. I want to convert to 12v so I can run briter lights. Don't worry I have a save box for anything I take of the bike. I was looking into a 12 volt generator for a 65-69 and was told this would fit if the holes where inlarged Thanks SSB
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

SSB!

As King mentioned in his post earlier, drilling the cases for larger bolts is un-necessary (and undesireable, too!)

1/4"-24 helicoils will install within the existing 5/16'-24 holes in two-brush generators easily: no tapping required.

...Cotten

Post by Guest »

What is the big deal with drilling out to 5/16? It's a stronger bolt, It's only a motorcycle!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Reasons not to drill out the cases:

#1: Someday, someone shall curse you for it, as both the valuable cam cover and the right motorcase must be boogered. It may even be you who realizes that going back to "correct" has been made a real pain in the butt, un-necessarily.

#2: 1958 Pan cases were already 5/16"

....Cotten
pan58head

6volt to 12volt

Post by pan58head »

58 cases already are dilled 5/16. I'm a machinist by trade so making small inserts instead of the hei coil isn't a problem. I agree with not drilling out a nice set of cases. I guess if in the market for a 12 generator, thinking I'm going to get one with the egulator built in to the end cap. ANy sugestions on a company to use Thanks SSB
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

12 volt generators

Post by biker_k »

I switched to a 12 volt system. The main reason was because my 49 pan is far from stock. It's a custom all the way and if I ever had a headlamp burn out, where would I get a 6 volt headlamp? I'd either have to carry extras, which I don't like to do, or drive with a burn out headlamp until I could get home to change it out. With a 12 volt system, I can head to the nearest auto parts store and get a headlamp in just about any town in the US.

I switched out to the Cycle Electric generator which has proven to be a very good generator. It has a built in rectifier/regulator and reduced the amount of wiring that I required on the bike. The only problem with my system is that I had to go with a smaller 12 volt battery because of my frame vs oil tank configuration and I have to monitor the battery water constantly. But, the system works extremely well. The Cycle Electric starter does not look stock or period at all. But for those of us with custom rides, it makes little difference.

If you have a stock ride.....stick with the 6 volt system. No sense in bastardizing your system and reducing the value of your bike.

Just my humble opinion
Biker_k

Return to “Electrical”