Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

In line fuse from battery

Post by lownslow »

Well, have been going through everything with the new Pan. Switched over to solids. Man, the hydraulics were scored up and looked like krap. Cam pitted in certain areas so installed a new one, Andrews J grind as this is as close to stock as I can get yes? Someone put the spacer washer on the wrong side of the cam so I think some of the noise........whine..........was the possible close tolerance with the timer gear. Anyway, it sounds normal now and I'm relieved to know all is well at least in the gear case.

As I was checking oil, I observed the positive wire from the battery. It has an in line fuse, 35A. The schematic does not show this. It was converted to 12V at some point and maybe this was installed as an extra precaution. Just wondering..........I guess it's one more thing I need to carry on my travels.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: In line fuse from battery

Post by 58flh »

YES-Carry a spare ,or if you dont have one just twist-em together cover with tape & FIX-IT PROPERLY as soo as you can!---I run a 30Amp inline on mine also Its the chip style that has a rubberboot over it for moisture wont get in!--I never have blown 1 on the road,I have blown it wrenching :lol: --but with these type of fuses the chip type if it goes & you dont have a spare a piece of tinfoil or balingwire will get you home!---Richie 8)
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Original bikes did not have a fuse, however it is a good idea.
If you get a dead short (without a fuse) first all the insulation will burn off then the wire will melt (happened to me once).
Jerrt
pan620
Bikes: 62 Duoglide, 48 Pan, 1990 FLHTCU

Post by pan620 »

IMO on a kickstart bike the fuses should be on the ground side.
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Original bikes did not have a fuse, however it is a good idea.
If you get a dead short (without a fuse) first all the insulation will burn off then the wire will melt (happened to me once).
Jerrt

Don't need that.........I guess HD they learned in later years.

YES-Carry a spare ,or if you dont have one just twist-em together cover with tape & FIX-IT PROPERLY as soo as you can!---I run a 30Amp inline on mine also Its the chip style that has a rubberboot over it for moisture wont get in!--I never have blown 1 on the road,I have blown it wrenching :lol: --but with these type of fuses the chip type if it goes & you dont have a spare a piece of tinfoil or balingwire will get you home!---Richie 8)

Seems the only time I blow a fuse is wrenching. lol
I've used tin foil before and had that melt. That's when you stop and call someone to getcha. I like the rubber boot idea. Though I don't head out in the rain, you get caught a lot in Oregon if you ride through the year.

As for the fuse on the negative side????? Does current flow from positive to negative or negative to positive??
On a "Negative Ground" system, it is generally ASSumed it flows from positive to negative. Been wrong before though. George??
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

if u run a cycle electric generator with a built in regulator,,,you also need a 20A fuse between the regulator and + batt....just sayin
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I run a 20 amp fuse between the regulator and the battery as per cycle-electric and a curcuit breaker off the negative side.If you get a short anywhere on the bike,it will trip the curcuit breaker.
ncmc47
Bikes: Sorry don't advertise my stuff on the internet

Post by ncmc47 »

According to electronic theory, electrons flow from negative to positive. That's why good grounds are so important.
Steve :mrgreen:
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

ncmc47 wrote:According to electronic theory, electrons flow from negative to positive. That's why good grounds are so important.
Steve :mrgreen:
That's why I mentioned it and was hoping George might chime in with his wisdom. I have an external regulator with the fuse just before the + terminal on the battery. I may lower it from 35A to 30A though.

I agree, good grounds are important!
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

lownslow wrote:As for the fuse on the negative side????? Does current flow from positive to negative or negative to positive??
On a "Negative Ground" system, it is generally ASSumed it flows from positive to negative. Been wrong before though. George??
Doesn't matter which way the current flows. The fuse will interrupt it either way.

Return to “Electrical”