Partial LED running light burnout

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics

Partial LED running light burnout

Post by Guest »

Description: My last two LED running lights have had almost half of the twelve tiny

Post by guest on Jun 26, 2006, 1:33am

My last two LED running lights have had almost half of the twelve tiny
bullets in the cluster burn out. Anyone else have this happen? I didn't
think this would happen to LEDs.

Mike Colaizzi PghPA

Post by Moose02 on Jun 27, 2006, 3:19pm

I've had that happen to me also, I was able to get just the circut light board and not a whole assembly call the company, unless it's a MoCo they'll sell you the whole thing

Moose

Post by kell on Jun 27, 2006, 10:42pm

Some products with led's run them parallel without current-limiting resistors, which allows some of the led's to hog current that would go to the others, and burn out. Usually it's a chain reaction after that, because after some of the led's burn out the remaining led's are overdriven. Then it's just a matter of time until they all burn out.
I haven't seen taillight led assemblies, but the mass-market flashlights with multiple led's that I've seen do NOT have current-equalizing resistors. It's a function of the Chinese capitalist psychology; once you sell the product, it doesn't matter what happens, so it only has to work long enough to get sold. Save a few pennies on each unit and it adds up to millions; no matter the consumer gets screwed in the end.
That's why I don't buy led flashlights anymore, and I won't buy an led taillight unless I get a look at the circuit board first. They're kind of pricey anyway, and on some vehicles the lowered current draw messes up the turn signal flasher. So you have to add another doodad to make your led draw more current; kind of defeats the purpose.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Partial LED running light burnout

Post by 58flh »

Hey guys---I have been using a LED in my tailight & no problems!--I do have a part of a 66 chevelle tailight bulb wiring harness soldered in there, They take an 1157 type bulb---the chevelle housing is almost a eighth inch taller than HD. ,But that dont mean a thing. I just put the LED in with the electro-lube on end of bulb, push & turn---DONE/---When I check & make sure she lights --I put a dab of sillycone on it --dont smother just a dab & tool it 1 time. The LED is brighter takes less juice to run & runs cool!--That has been my EXP. so far !---58flh 8)

Return to “Electrical”