Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

6 Volt Regulator and generator question

Post by hjans »

Hi there
can anyone tell me how exactly to test generator and regulator on my 59 6V Pan ?
And then i do not mean the method used in the manual ( pull a spark, if battery is full then... etc.)
I would like to know voltages, amperage values, oscilloscope signals, maybe a tech drawing of the generator ( what exactly is in it, diodes, triac's or whatever.....)
Reason : my battery just dropped out when riding on my "maiden ride ".
I charged it ( to be honest just charge a couple of hours without checking further) , started and drove off.
Suddenly no more electricity : battery dead and engine stopped ( no juice to create high voltage)
Battery just read 2 Volt when pulling even minor amp. out of it.
So i ordered a new battery, but i really like to chech out the generator and regulator first
Generator is overhauled.

Thanks

Hans
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 6 Volt Regulator and generator question

Post by 58flh »

YOU probably did --but I have to ask!-(did you polarize the genny? in the correct way)--Richie, Also you need 6-volts to keep batt. charged!, If you run to long on those 2-4 volts it had , you tax the other components to work HOTTER-Harder!, Reg. could burout also the armature can go south on ya to! :!: ---Tell us how you checked genny after overhaul!-( did it motor in a vice with 6V applied)& whatever else you did!--Its good to check with all components hooked-up & a full good 6V BATT.----Richie
hjans

Post by hjans »

58flh wrote:YOU probably did --but I have to ask!-(did you polarize the genny? in the correct way)--Richie, Also you need 6-volts to keep batt. charged!, If you run to long on those 2-4 volts it had , you tax the other components to work HOTTER-Harder!, Reg. could burout also the armature can go south on ya to! :!: ---Tell us how you checked genny after overhaul!-( did it motor in a vice with 6V applied)& whatever else you did!--Its good to check with all components hooked-up & a full good 6V BATT.----Richie
I did polirize it, but to be honest i didn't test it.
First didn't know how, second i checked voltage on the battery after powering her first time.
Can you explain how you test the gen in a vice ?
Hans
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hans,

to test on a bench you want to make it act as a motor. if it motors it will generate.

simply mount it in a vise then run a jumper from the field terminal to the frame of the generator. then run a jumper from the field to the negative of a fully charged battery.

then connect a jumper from the armature terminal to the positive of the battery.

it should motor. note, it will spark some when you do this. wear safety glasses!

john
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

hjans wrote:...[..Can you explain how you test the gen in a vice ?
Hans
Hans!

I used to hook up the battery and ammeter (with a button switch), and then hold its drive gear up against an 8" wire wheel on a bench grinder.

Life was simpler then.

....Cotten
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Here's what i recommend:

Make sure the battery electrolyte levels are good; top off with distilled water if necessary.

Install Regulator, Generator, battery.

Polarize generator.

Charge the battery fully. Hook a DC voltmeter to the battery terminals, and read the voltage. If you don't see at least 6V on the battery(with the charger disconnected), then get a new battery.

Start the bike, and rev it to the point where the GEN light goes out. You should see around 7 to 7.5V across the battery.

Turn the lights on, and make sure you still see 7-7.5V across the battery.

If you pass the above tests, the system is probably working fine. If you can rig up a way to mount the voltmeter on your bars, you can look at it occasionally as you ride, and it will give you an idea of what is happening.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Just wondering about how many amps that the "Charger" put out.....and if it put too many amps.......then yes it charged the battery.....But when it only worked for a short time.....if the amps were way too HIGH......it over heated the cells and fryed it self as it internally heated the battery UP and the plates shorted together after you took that short ride and it went dead.....what kind of battey was it?......a H-2 or a 12 volt and how many amp charger was it.....a H-2 is best charged at around 1 to 2 amps......and a 12 volts charge is determined by the am size !
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

A lead-acid battery should be charged at 1/10 the battery's Amp-Hr rate, for 10 hours, for a full charge.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Thanks for the info.....i'm sure many with sure benefit from the figures !
Andy.....we need to know what his charge rate was don't we and was the electrolite at proper Max level ?
MCM
hjans

Post by hjans »

ok
first i need to get a new battery ( 1 week from now.....i live in the bushes of Panheadland!)
then i install it, run the bike and measure current and voltage.
Especially the current seems to be interesting.

I keep u informed

Hans
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Make sure it is fully charged before you run it-it will make the testing much easier.

Return to “Electrical”