Starter for 65 FLH available?

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
faustmill

Starter for 65 FLH available?

Post by faustmill »

Why do the catalogues (Custom Chrome and V-Twin catalogues are the two I checked) for vintage parts only list a Prestolite starter for 1966 to 1981 FLs? I am thinking of replacing the starter on my 65 FLH that is sounding like it is about to give up. Is there something different about the 65 starter from the 66 starter? This hard to believe. It seems like HD would have used the same starter in the 66 that they used in the 65. Can I use the starter that the catalogues list for 66 in my 65? Thanks.
Faustmill
Bikes: 65FLH 54FL

Post by Faustmill »

Maybe I answered my own question. The Clymer Panhead manual says the 65 FLH had a Delco-Remy starter motor. HD only used the Delco Remy that year. Then in 1966 HD switched to the Prestolite starter. It still seems to me I could use the Prestolite starter that is listed for 66-81 in my 65. Has anybody replaced their 65 FL starter? What motor did you use? Thanks.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I believe some early 66's were produced with Delcos.

Because of engineering errors in the starter housing, such as a lack of a condensate drain, and then a lack of an o-ring in the deflector, many red-label Delcos have been lost, and now quite dear.

I ran a Prestolite on one of my 65's for many years. You may need a different end support bracket, and it is best to add a relay if you haven't already.

....Cotten
Faustmill

Post by Faustmill »

Cotton, Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you.
Lstpan65
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Lstpan65 »

I thought the Delco-remy was replaced in late 65 by the Prestrolite?

Well cotton is right about the delco having problems, I was going to replace it with the prestrolite but decided to hold off and rebuild it for a winter project. The problem is spare parts for the delco's. I'll have to look but somewhere I have a # for a guy out in California who rebuilds them. Also this might help, the Delco-remy starter was also used by the out board motor companies ( Johnson, Evenrude ect..) for the 1965 models. I had actually found a local boat guy who had just thrown out all of his old stuff before I talked to him. Good luck, if I find parts I'll post them in here. If you decide change it out for the prestrolite and want to sell the Delco housing PM me.

Mark
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Many folks have snatched up the much cheaper '64-'65 Servicar Delcos for replacement parts. They had black label tags (and may have been reverse-rotation?)

...Cotten
Lstpan65
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Lstpan65 »

I went back and found the #. the place is San Jose. Panzer4 got it for me its Electric battery and carb #408-292-8464. I was going to wait till winter before I took it apart.. Let me know how ya make out. Mark
Faustmill

Post by Faustmill »

After getting myself a little more up to speed on the Prestolite vs Delco starter situation, I found that the old starter that is in the bike (65 FLH) that needs replacement is a Prestolite. I think I will take the easy way out on this one and just replace it with a new Prestolite from the catalogues. Thanks for the info.
airwrench
Bikes: Coupla old Pans, Springer Softail

Re: Starter for 65 FLH available?

Post by airwrench »

Is the starter shaft housing the same for Delco/Remy and Prestolite? The parts catalog I have makes no mention of a DR starter for my 65 FLH, just the Prestolite. A DR is installed, tho, and the brushes are shot.
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

airwrench

Post by airwrench »

Thanks for the links. Still trying to determine if the starter shaft housing (goes between the starter motor and the inner primary) for the DR will fit the Prestolite unit without modification. I can see the bracket that mounts the starter assy to a couple of the kicker cover studs will need to be changed to the flat (not offset) one, since the Prestolite is shorter. It’s the other end I’m wondering about…
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

My parts book, 1958-68 shows the Delco 1965-E66, and the Prestolite E66 onward, but only one gear reduction housing housing a & drive assembly form 1965 onward.
I would assume, always a potentially bad thing to do with Harley parts, that there is only the one housing for either motor....
I have a complete Prestolite assembly if any measurements would be helpful....
....RooDog....
airwrench

Post by airwrench »

Thx, RooDog.
I would likewise assume that to be the case from your documentation-sure enuf to start looking for another gear reduction housing to build up a spare, since a Prestolite is authentic vintage, too.
Meanwhile, there’s an auto electric shop locally that’s willing to test the armature and see if he can adapt an available brush set of the same dimensions. HD p/n is not avail, but there’s a lot of small marine dealerships locally that may have something for the outboards mentioned (Thankew Lstpan65)
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Your starter is a GM Delco part, parts for it shouldn't be that hard to locate....
airwrench

Post by airwrench »

No harder to find than any other almost-sixty-year-old electrical component, prob’ly.
I’ll post when it all gets put back together. Thanks for the help, you guys.

Return to “Electrical”