Gaskets

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1964FLDUO
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 FL Duo Glide

Gaskets

Post by 1964FLDUO »

What gaskets do you guys reccomend, the regular James or the James with orange silicone? I have heard mixed reviews on the silicone ones.
panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Re: Gaskets

Post by panmarkski »

The Metal / Silicone base gaskets did not work for me, leaked at the feed area. Paper works fine
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

I had the same problem with my base Gaskets with silicone, you confirmed my thoughts.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I also tried the metal/sillycone gaskets with bad results. I don't know why, perhaps my cylinder base area is was not perfectly flat. The paper gaskets worked fine...Mike
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Now my .02 worth. I've always been a Hi-Tack and Copper Coat man... I used the Hi-Tack on my base gaskets and they didn't leak. What did leak was the valve cover gaskets. I used the Thick paper and my valve covers puked Red Hi-Tack oil ever where. Pulling the heads I got the thin gaskets and 1194 Three Bond and right now I'm leak free. I just didn't expect 12 friggin screws with the wide rings would leak anything. WRONG! After using the Three Bond, I can tell you what I'd use on the base gaskets. :wink:
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

My rocker covers leaked oil too, only on the low sides(exhaust) and by the spark plugs, but it sure looks ugly. Tried James thick gasket and thin gasket with Permatex Sealant 2 and they still leaked, I have considered trying cork when the motor goes back together, but those always seem to dry out and leak.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Question....
Where do you guys buy your James gaskets? Directly from the James website, or through your local Indy..?
Need to buy a few thing, would like to do it economically... :)
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

I have found its pretty reasonable to buy them through my local Harley Dealership, but it's hard to beat Internet prices. JP Cycles has good prices on James Gaskets. For example I paid around $60.00 out the door for a top end gasket set at my Dealership, JP has the same set for $48.00 plus shipping.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

1964FLDUO wrote:My rocker covers leaked oil too, only on the low sides(exhaust) and by the spark plugs, but it sure looks ugly. Tried James thick gasket and thin gasket with Permatex Sealant 2 and they still leaked, I have considered trying cork when the motor goes back together, but those always seem to dry out and leak.
Persistant rocker cover leaks usually means that your rocker covers are not perfectly flat on the sealing surface. Another problem, that is common with aftermarket covers, is that the pan will start to roll virtical at the edge of the cover screw hole. This is most common with that hole nearest the exhaust valve spring. These are almost impossible to get to stop leaking.

-Craig
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

Someone once reccomended grinding the rocker covers flat with a large disk grinder, not sure how well that would work, I have inquired about getting them milled flat, but no luck yet.
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

To check the flatness (and get mine flatter) I used the Back-side of a 12" x 12" ceramic floor tile. The back of the tile is flat. Clean the back of the valve cover flange and give it a couple black lines from a Sharpie. Next use the (back side) of the tile like it was Sand Paper and check for low places. Both mine were pretty close.

I choose the Thick paper gaskets to begin with and I think they were "wicking" the oil out. When I removed the covers I checked the gaskets and covers and I actually had Squeezed the gaskets down about 1/32" so I could tell I had 100% contact (put mine Leaked). I looked at every gasket out there and considered Silicone and bought the thick cork-rubber gaskets. (I'd scraped out too many Chevy cork valve cover gaskets over the years and decided against the cork-rubber.) In my opinion the success/failure has to do with the Sealer. If you dig here, there's about 4 different ones that had a good success. Yamabond, Hondabond, Three Bond and I don't remember what Mr. Cotton uses but I think it was comparable to the first 3 which are I'm pretty sure the same type stuff.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

http://www.accurate-engineering.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The accurate gaskets don't leak, no goop needed...Mike
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

+1 For Accurate Engineering. Never had any problems. I bought aftermarket covers and I had to lap them to get them flat. Lots of work but they look and work perfect now.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

CaptMike wrote:Now my .02 worth. I've always been a Hi-Tack and Copper Coat man... I used the Hi-Tack on my base gaskets and they didn't leak. What did leak was the valve cover gaskets. I used the Thick paper and my valve covers puked Red Hi-Tack oil ever where. Pulling the heads I got the thin gaskets and 1194 Three Bond and right now I'm leak free. I just didn't expect 12 friggin screws with the wide rings would leak anything. WRONG! After using the Three Bond, I can tell you what I'd use on the base gaskets. :wink:
Keep in mind you may have to adjust the cylinders when you align the intake manifold, probably not a good idea to "glue" down the base gaskets...A little grease wouldn't hurt...Mike

Return to “Motor”