Engine operability check

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Engine operability check

Post by kehughes »

There are always engines for sale being advertised as ready to run or recently rebuilt. When checking out the operability of prospective engines, what are some key things to look at in order to verify it is bike ready if they are not currently in a bike?. Thanks
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Engine operability check

Post by steve_wood »

Unless it's being backed by a really good shop, then I wouldn't believe anything the seller is saying. I'm not saying that everyboyd is evil, but there are probably lots of sellers out there who firmly believe they've done a great job rebuilding the engine. And they spent a lot of money so it has to be good right? When in fact, they might have missed key steps or unwittingly used incorrect or deficient parts.

I suppose on way to look at is to judge the parts that you can see. If it has matching belly numbers, good VIN number, period correct jugs and heads, good gear cover and circuit breaker. then maybe its worth buying with the full understanding that you will have to go through the whole motor yourself (or have an expert do it). Of course this has a cost, so that would have to be factored into the price you are willing to pay.

Return to “Motor”