To Drill Heads Or Case (Oil Holes)

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

To Drill Heads Or Case (Oil Holes)

Post by CaptMike »

Since my '57 Pan has a '63 Right Case, my heads do not have and oil. After reading for hours I have two options.

1. Drill the heads for external oilers.

2. Drill the engine case oil holes-> Cylinders-> heads! The '63 case has the front hole drilled and plugged. So that leaves drilling the rear oil hole in the case. Yes, I have numerous years experience as a Machinist.

In my opinion it "should" be easier to just drill the rear oil hole in the case. The difficult part is planning the angles. I've already spent several hours studding drawings and probing the engine case holes.

From what I've read, Cotten has done this before but I don't think his Vote is for "butchering" up a good set of heads. My concern is if I drill the engine case will I get enough oil to the rockers? I know if I drill the heads for the external oilers that I just might over oil them (but its easier to lower the flow than try to increase the flow). I apologize Cotten but I'm not for the Cylinder Oil Heaters H-D used for 12 years. The external lines are better in my opinion.

I was all up to just buying a V-Twin bottom-end and solving my MIA crank and oiling problems but I just don't think I can take the easy way out.

I've PM'd a couple of people who have added the external oilers. Does anyone possibly have a Copy or the EasyRiders Tech Article where they added the external oilers to the heads. It looks like a straight shot to hit the oil galley going to the Intake rockers but the fins have to be milled in one area for the fitting.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Re: To Drill Heads Or Case (Oil Holes)

Post by George Greer »

Mike..

I just got a set of heads, and they are in Portland Oregon at stepdaughters house.

I only got some photos of them, but am going to be getting more soon, these are outside oiler heads. No broken fins, on either of the heads, and by the photos the heads seem to be in very good shape.

My engine is a 58 FL, not for outside oiler heads.

Your engine is for outside oilers, perhaps we could work out something that would be good for us both.

You would not have to modify your heads, and I won't have to modify anything for my engine. Mabey a swap could be in the work??

email or PM about photos

George
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Before we let intuition take over, let us consider a few basics.

Oil is long stringy molecules that don't flow well cold, and cannot do its job unless thinned by heat.
Ever notice that a motor has to "warm up" to perform?

Whether pumped direct through the cylinders or out and about through lines, it is pre-heated by the lower end.

Its residence time through the cylinders, or piping, is short.
If the oil significantly cooled anything, or took on heat from the cylinders, there would be a distortion of the bore streaking up the cylinder.
Ever hear of such?

Heat comes from combustion and friction.
The head dissipates the combustion heat to the air through finnage, while oil on the inside lubricates, and carries heat away, back down the cylinders.

The temperature difference between spurting fast through the cylinders compared to seconds through tubing is negligeable to the environment of the cylinder heads.

The legendary longevity of Panheads is proof in itself.

Boring holes in your vintage heads for shiny fittings and pipes might get you bragging rights at the bar, but only to the gullible, and at the expense of hardware that would otherwise be an investment for the future.

On to the cases,
Drilling a single hole that cannot be seen is much simpler, and not nearly such a molestation.

....Cotten

5/32" by 2 5/16" deep; Looks like a nice even 67 degrees.
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

First, thanks George I'll send you a PM.

Oil today is much better than it was back in the 1950's. My main concern with drilling the case is just getting enough oil to the heads. I'm 100% game for drilling either and the case is the easiest (in my opinion). One hole, no fittings, everything looks stock and the new cylinders come with the oil holes.

Thanks for an excellent picture. I'm guessing that the angle in the case matches the one in the cylinder? George can you give me the degrees you're showing? And from the Rear of the case looking forward, it the drill at "0" degrees or is there a slight angle to the Left going into the case?

That last Felony Arrest kind of stopped me from "Taking Drunk" so bragging rights at the Bar is Out but remember if we're arguing over $50k and I "take drunk"... RUN. :twisted:
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

CaptMike wrote:Oil today is much better than it was back in the 1950's.
CaptMike!

Most modern oil is inferior because many traditional additives were found to be harmful to mandated EPA restrictions, such as catalytic converters. If you can find a blend that still has "ZDDP", you will have the best equal of classic oils.
CaptMike wrote:My main concern with drilling the case is just getting enough oil to the heads.

Your real concern is to avoid over-oiling.
Even with a 5/32' hole, which is smaller than 'Factory', extended highway duty may benefit from a .100" restrictor orifice, especially for those whose builds use a more modern high-volume pump.

...Cotten
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

MIke,

You gotta ask Cotten about the angle... his photo.

George
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

George Greer wrote:MIke,

You gotta ask Cotten about the angle... his photo.

George

From an "X", "Y", "Z" standpoint. I need to see the second angle, if the case was rotated 90 degrees (1/4) rotation. I suspect by probing my case that the hole needs a small amount of angle that would be towards the crank at the bottom but if it's Straight, that would be super. I can still take a small bit and see if I can hit it before I go Big.

Let me see if I can post Cotten's modified Picture.

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

CaptMike!

It wouldn't hurt to toe it in:

The front cylinder gallery is toed in about 6 1/2", but these cases have extensive welding and re-decking, and the protractor isn't exactly precision.
The galleries are a full 3/16", so I might have hogged them as well. (Its been many years....)

Measuring and averaging another case would make sense.

Or removing the welch plug from the bottom gallery would allow you to insert a rod for alignment.

....Cotten
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

If it cools off and my patience settles down I'll drill a Damn hole. It's "Turn-over Day" here at the Redneck Rivera and just driving home, I wanted to offer Chokings to a couple of Turons. I have to go back to the beach but I ain't driving the friggin van, I just need to figure out how to get the Roadglide out of the garage.

Thanks Cotten.
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

OK Cotten, We Have An "oiler"!

I drilled the front welsh plug first and probed it, the front oil hole is angled slightly down and intersects the tappet block oil feeds. If you hadn't posted the first picture I would have drilled it forward instead to the rear. What H-D did was drill the cylinder oil holes towards the pump (which makes sense).

I need to finish removing the welsh plug and drill the rear hole slightly larger.

One day I'm really going to post some pictures.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Motor”