pan -shov

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
southernsportster
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003 xlh hugger.

pan -shov

Post by southernsportster »

i'm kinda new to the nos old harleys , my first "harley" is a '03 sportster 883 hugger ,
any how i've been wanting to "build" my own "fl".
My grand dad had a 1948 74 inch pan bobber way back when
and i thought , what the hell i'll build what grand dad had and make it my own .
Question i have is i want electric start and 12 volt , also was thinkin 76 (i know i know an amf bowling harley lower end ) i was thinkin a 76 shovel lower and 48 pan upper , does this sound stupid ? and i am wanting reliability (i know i could go out and buy a new cross bones and get all that , but i want a 48 with 76 shovel lower end and pan upper .... any coments?????????
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: pan -shov

Post by steinauge »

Simple enough engine to build.48 heads might be a little thin on the ground,why not use any set of panheads you can find? They will all work.If you have the money why not buy a set of STD heads ? They are set up for outside oilers and will remove the only real bit of modification you have to do-IE making up a top end oil feed setup.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

SS!

I only cringe at calling it a 'Pan-Shov'.

That's as meaningless as "factory-custom", or the worst of all: "old-school".

It would be a 1976 Panhead, and you will be able to smile when you say it.

...Cotten
southernsportster
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003 xlh hugger.

Post by southernsportster »

steinauge wrote:Simple enough engine to build.48 heads might be a little thin on the ground,why not use any set of panheads you can find? They will all work.If you have the money why not buy a set of STD heads ? They are set up for outside oilers and will remove the only real bit of modification you have to do-IE making up a top end oil feed setup.
like i said i'm new to the nos old stuff , any how exactilly what are std heads?( i am sorry if that sounds stupid but ......) i think i get the making up top end oil feed deal ,

and i like cottons idea of calling it a 76 pan , that would get real crazy looks from some folks i guess ,
as far as using 48 heads ,
well if and when i actully start this project ,

the 48 FL frame and the 48 heads are important for the year , of the parts and what they represnt to me ( grand dad had a 1948 74 inch bobber flat black and white scoppop tins , i think is what he said the paint was ..

but then again when he found out i had bought a harley i think he called me a jack ass or something to that affect , ..

any way 48 is for his 74 inch bobber 76 represents my birth and the 26 olive green on a 2003 sportster tank thats been stretched and severly moddifeid the olive for grand dads birth year 1926 , and the 2003 sporty tank is for my first harley

if it sounds weird ya outta see my family
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

STD is an aftermarket company that produces among other things heads and crankcases.They make a pretty decent set of panheads.Obviously not 1948 vintage but not worn out or metal fatigued. STD stood for scarber and Trachtenberg development. I dont know what it stands for now since Joe Scarber died years ago.You may well find a set of 1948 head castings but they are likely to need extensive and expensive refurbishment before they are usable.
sh944
Inactive member
Bikes: 1991 FLHTC
19?? FLH (STD panhead)

Post by sh944 »

I am running a Gary Bang built Pan engine that uses STD shovel ('76 style, Manufacturer Statement of Origin dates it back to '88) cases, and if you aren't a purist, its a GREAT way to fly. You'll get into the odd "what fits this combo" issue from time to time while building it and/or doing maintenance, but I love having electric start and a reliable bike.

Regards, ...Scott

Return to “Motor”